Question

Honor Student
KZK21
Message 1 of 8 (2,730 Views)

my officejet 4500 does not copy anymore.

I have an officejet 4500 and it only prints off the computer. When I place a sheet on the glass it will not scan and copy. I have tried the troubleshooting tips in the manual but nothing helps. I don't get a message but the exclamation mark is blinking.

Intern
acidzynot
Message 2 of 8 (2,723 Views)

Re: my officejet 4500 does not copy anymore.

the exclamation mark is for indicating if there is paper loaded....try to test the functionality of the printer alone...try print a test page from the printer...then try updating the firmware of that printer.....tell me if it works

CLICK THE KUDOS!! :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
KZK21
Message 3 of 8 (2,719 Views)

I updated the software and it didn't make any difference. I'm thinking that the problem started after I had faxed some papers. Maybe that jammed something up in the circuits. Do you know of a reset button? Thanks for the help though, it is appreciated.

Kurt

Intern
acidzynot
Message 4 of 8 (2,710 Views)

the reset for the printer?you can press the # 3 or # 6 together.......try to update the firmware for your printer.....

Teacher
YanaIce
Message 5 of 8 (2,686 Views)

Hello,

Try running the HP Hardware Diagnostic Tool. Follow the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&jumpid=ex_r4155/hho/ipg/ccdoc/h...

" Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
. "
Student
bigwannabe
Message 6 of 8 (2,584 Views)

I have a similar problem.  When I try to make a copy, I get the flashing exclamation point and nothing comes out.  I hear the scanner mechanism clunking around, but it doesn't seem to move.  How do I update the firmware?  Thanks

Student
glennreinhardt
Message 7 of 8 (208 Views)

my hp 4500 officejet prints ok from the computer but will not copy or scan

KZK21 wrote:

I have an officejet 4500 and it only prints off the computer. When I place a sheet on the glass it will not scan and copy. I have tried the troubleshooting tips in the manual but nothing helps. I don't get a message but the exclamation mark is blinking.

HP Support Agent
Rainbow7000
Message 8 of 8 (190 Views)

Hello @glennreinhardt , welcome to the forums:smileyhappy:

I read your post about how you cannot copy or scan with your Officejet 4500. I would like to share my input with you.

I would suggest a power reset and ensuring the printer is plugged in directly to the wall outlet, avoiding power bars and surge protectors. This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help greatly.

Power reset:

Press the Power button to turn on the product.
With the product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 15 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

Afterwards, try a copy from the printer itself. If the copies still do not work, you may have a "Scanner Failure" issue. If that is the case, try out the steps here:

A 'Scanner Failure' Message Displays on the All-in-One Control Panel and You Cannot Scan, Copy, or F...

If you still cannot make a copy, call HP directly to see about a replacement or trade in unit.

If you are able to copy again and the problem is only with the scanning, please write me back and let me know, which exact Officejet 4500 model you have as there are a few models, which operating system you are running on your computer, and what specifically happens (errors) when you scan to your computer.

These links will help you find that information:

Which Windows Operating System am I running?
Mac OS X: How Do I Find Which Mac OS X Version Is on My Computer?
How Do I Find My Model Number?

HP's contact info if you wish to call them directly:
If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and for all other regions: click here.

I hope my post was informative to you, thank you for posting in the community!

Have a wonderful Thursday:smileyhappy:

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

R a i n b o w 7000
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation