Question

Honor Student
jsmith72
Message 1 of 32 (63,852 Views)

my scanner won't work

I used to have an icon on my desktop so that i could scan a picture onto my computer. It's not there anymore. Can someone please tell me how i can set my all-in-one printer,scanner,copier so that i can scan like i used to? I know there is a way to go in there and scan something, but i can't figure it out. The scan button doesn't even work so i can't do it that way either. I called HP and tried to get some support and they want to charge me for some help. I finally got someone on the phone to help me and he told me to uninstall my software and then re-install it. So i tried to do that and it won't uninstall. So now what do I do? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jennifer

THE FIRST POST THAT I HAVE IS THE SAME THING AND IT HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grad Student
pradeep
Message 2 of 32 (63,890 Views)

Re: my scanner won't work

First of all, may I know if the printer software is installed on your system, if the printer software is installed open the HP Solution center from your desktop and click on scan document option and try to scan. If you are getting any error message let us know so that we can provide the accurate solution.
Tutor
Jean
Message 3 of 32 (63,747 Views)

Re: my scanner won't work

I too have a problem with my scanner, first it wouldn't scan with message stating it wasn't installed then stating that windows installer had not been successfully installed and then it finally scanned but it scanned only as a photo and the font size and letter size was changed and it cannot be returned to the original content and format. So what good is it to even have the ability to scan it if the scanning changes everything?  HP still hasn't responded to me and I don't expect them to have an answer anyway and if you are lucky enough to get to talk to a customer support tech,(that doesn't speak English or Spanish), they will hang up or accidentally disconnect if they can't answer your question. I want to know how to get a job there because I'm sure I am qualified to hang up on customers without any guilt just as their techs do and what an easy way to make money and do nothing. Sorry I got off track there for a moment, good luck with your scanner but don't expect HP to help you, look for someone that works on computers on the side in your town because HP doesn't give you support that you have already paid for.

Jean

Honor Student
As_the_Icon
Message 4 of 32 (62,607 Views)

My scanner won't work

Well by chance I have been having the same problem but there is a very easy answer. First, turn on your scanner then go to start>all programs>accessories>scanner and camera wizard. Once loaded click Next>(Choose your settings, such as color, etc.)>Name the scan>Select image type (JPG is standard)>Select where you want to save the image>Hit next to scan>Click finish once your done. If you want you can make a shortcut to the wizard.
Intern
arejfour
Message 5 of 32 (62,573 Views)

Re: My scanner won't work

Well guess what I have the same problem., but, what is really strange the scanning function was working absolutely perfect until about a month ago. Then, all of a sudden, it stopped working. I got the error message. After spending, at least, 6 hours on the phone with HP tech supportand reinstalling the software, at least, 4 times, the same problem existsI installed the software from both online and from a CD-same problem. I'm stumped as to why all of a sudden it stopped working when it worked perfectly since I bought my system in July 08. I can only surmise that a Vista update changed something that the HP software can't handle. The HP tech dept is supposed to call be back after consulting with the software dept. We'll see how long that takes. Also, anybody having a problem with the auto prompt screen function disabling itself?
Intern
arejfour
Message 6 of 32 (62,529 Views)

Try this solution. I was having the same problem not being able to scan. After spending hours an hours on the phone with HP tech support and uninstalling and reinstalling the software 4 times with no success I think HP finaly solved the problem. We downloaded the software for the J6400 and low and behold the scan feature works. Give it a try.
Student
sarasotajulie
Message 7 of 32 (62,428 Views)

My scanner (G3110) partially works. It scans, the HP Scanning window opens and you can see the image, but it NEVER (or at least not in my lifetime), shows up in the preview window at the bottom so that you can click "finish"... it just sits there and works and works and works. It ties up all other functions as well, making everything very slow. None of the buttoms are available to use either (Tools, etc.)

I tried the suggestion of downloading the the software for the J6400 and it didn't help.

I tried the other suggestion: (start>all programs>accessories>scanner and camera wizard. Once loaded click Next>(Choose your settings, such as color, etc.)>Name the scan>Select image type (JPG is standard)>Select where you want to save the image>Hit next to scan>Click finish once your done.) and that works by circumventing the HP software all together, BUT I want to be able to edit my pics AND save multiple images that I lay on the screen as separate files and now I can't.

Someone PLEASE help as soon as possible. I have a very imporatnt project (my partents 60th wedding anniversary) to complete and I ned this!!!!!

Honor Student
As_the_Icon
Message 8 of 32 (62,419 Views)

My scanner won't work

You could trim and crop the photos using paint, photoshop, etc. but if you want to be able to save the images seperately then I recommened highlighting the image and opening a new doc. ,jpg. ,etc. and then pasting it in new file or window. Then from there you could rotate it and scale it to meet your needs.
Intern
arejfour
Message 9 of 32 (62,323 Views)

Sorry the 6400 download didn't work. Your problem maybe different tha mine. Aat this point the only thing I can suggest is to contact HP tech support. Perhaps downloading a portion of the 6400 software might work, but, you're going to have to talk with someone more technically proficient than me.
Intern
gardengal5
Message 10 of 32 (60,707 Views)

I have the same problem as sarasotaJulie.  Scan Previews almost, but never gets to highlight FINISH.

I have the 6380 allinone.   When I first got it and set it up this summer, it all worked.  I even  created some shortcuts to customize the scan properties, so I  knew I used to scan.  I just now went to scan from the SOlution Center and had the same problem.  Scan (scan Picture to File) starts off fine, asks me the destination, starts Scanning...  does everything in the Preview phase, except finish.  There is no broken line around the flatbed image and FINISH button never lights up.   THere is a tiny scroll tab on the top, where some characters are flitting by really fast.  Maybe it is some error message.  impossible to tell.    I went to EventViewer.ApplicationLogs but nothing there.  (not surprising, that would assume skilled programming - excuse the dig, I'm  not very happy hp camper right now... other problems too).

I did the typical things that support would suggest... reboot, restart printer, yadda yadda yadda..

I also attempted the scan from PaintShop Pro just thru the TWAIN driver... acquire twain image.   same result.

I also attempted the scan (to my computer) from the 6380 ..  heard the scanner, but then nothing.  

OS is Vista fwiw.   6380 is wired network.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation