Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

My Officejet 6600 gives a paper size mismatch when I try to copy in either black or color.  It seems to randomly resize and crop when it does copy.  I've used with and without automatic feeder.  I have used both automatically detect paper size and manually set to letter with no change.  I have cleaned the glass on the printer.

Scan works fine with or without automatic feeder.  Print from PC works fine.

Just updated driver.

Does anyone have an idea how I might solve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The fix is almost embarrassing, but I wanted to share in case someone else faces it.

While I was on with support and getting the serial number from the back, I noticed the back door was ajar.  I assumed that was from my daughter who had to move it today, so I replaced it and got it properly seated on the back of the printer.

It turns out that the problem was that door being ajar.  That was causing the paper mismatch error.

I hope this helps someone else.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hey thecolemans,

I see you are having a paper mismatch issue with copying from your Officejet 6600.  Typically this comes from an issue with the printer's communication to the paper sensors in the tray.  

First thing I would try is to make sure the printer is plugged into a direct wall outlet and perform a Hard Reset.

• Unplug the printer while powered on
  • Unplug the other end of the power cord from the power source
  • Wait 60 seconds
  • Plug printer back in for power to a direct wall outlet

Next, look into making sure there aren't any product firmware updates available.  Sometimes a firmware can become glitched and updating can remove some issues of this nature.

• For information on updating firmware please click here.

The next step I would advise is performing a factory reset on the device.  I have these steps and can private message them to you.  Please let me know how the above steps go.

Hope this helps,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you.  I have tried the Hard Reset, and the result is the same.

I ran the product update, and it said the printer was up to date.

I tried the firmware update, and when trying to print the report, the printer senses a paper mismatch and will not print, so I cannot check the firmware version number.

Also, perhaps I did not realize it last night, but it is also pulling the paper on which it prints crooked.

I very much appreciate your help and would be interested if you have other ways to check the firmware or want to suggest the factory reset.

Best Regards,

Rod

HP Recommended

Hey Rod,

If the device is having the same issue with printing the internal reports, then I would advise the next step of a factory reset.  Also, as an aside, remove all paper from the input tray and shine in with a flashlight.  Make sure there is no paper caught in the input rollers as this can sometimes cause the issue you are experiencing.

I will send the steps for the product reset in a private message.  If you are not sure how to use this feature, please see the following post. 

How To Send A Private Message – Video: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to/How-To-Send-A-Private-Message-Video/td-p/8...

Before performing these steps please read Bob_Headrick's thread on printer resets, found here.

Hope this helps fix your issue,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

The fix is almost embarrassing, but I wanted to share in case someone else faces it.

While I was on with support and getting the serial number from the back, I noticed the back door was ajar.  I assumed that was from my daughter who had to move it today, so I replaced it and got it properly seated on the back of the printer.

It turns out that the problem was that door being ajar.  That was causing the paper mismatch error.

I hope this helps someone else.

HP Recommended

Hey Rod,

I am glad to hear you have the issue resolved!  Sometimes the backdoor/duplexer being out of place can give false errors such as this and paper jams, etc.  As well, small pieces of paper being in the roller system can lead to these errors as well.

I wish you the best in all your future printing needs!  Thank you for your participation here in the HP Consumer Support forums.  Please do not hesitate to post again in the future if you have any further issues or questions about your HP product.

Happy Printing,

Jason

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

After several hours trying to resolve this 'Paper mismatch' error on my 8600 Premium that I use lightly in my home office, including a couple calls to HP support, and when I was just about to throw it away and buy a new printer on Amazon, I resolved the problem!  I'm going to share because it was tricky and I only did this step because I figured I had nothing to lose if I broke the printer and was upset that this printer had done so little printing compared to my printers at work. I had already tried numerous things including updating the HP device driver (printer hardware driver) and HP the software driver for Windows. I am a software engineer and also good mechanically. 

First I unplugged the printer. I opened the door where you replace the print heads. I reached in with my left hand and grabbed the print heads that were to the right and physically pulled them all the way to the left. If you have tried all the other support recommendations (e.g. updating firmware, updating driver) don't worry about breaking anything. The heads may take some force to move, but move them all the way left. I looked in with a flashlight and saw that there was a crunched up piece of paper that the print heads had smashed against the right side of the internal cavity. I couldn't previously see this crunched up paper that was being hidden by the print heads. I don't know how it got up there and was hidden so perfectly. It was a test!

I then plugged the printer back in and waited for the printer to be ready. I pressed 4 times the return / counter-clockwise arrow button,  which is below the left < button, which is below the home button. Shine a flashlight on the printer panel to more clearly see these buttons. This brings you to the Support Menu.  Scroll using the right > arrow to the 'Resets Menu'.  Hit OK. Scroll using the right > to the 'Semi-Full Reset' selection and hit OK. (If this reset doesn't work first time, repeat it).

The printer was back and working!  How many people are throwing away perfectly fixable 86XXs that have a hidden smashed page of paper inside??  My printer was purchased in Jan 2012 and has only printed 7,672 pages (can get from printer status report) and should print many more thousands of pages.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.