Question
officejet j4580 not printing or scanning
Replies (40)

Tutor
robertmkmd
Message 11 of 41 (277 Views)

Re: officejet j4580 not printing or scanning

Sorry about last post. I did find the solution center in the control panel and uninstalled and reinstalled it per instructions. This time it did complete the installation although it still states (in the solution center) that the printer is disconected! When I try to print a file, the printer goes through the motions as if though it's really printing but there is nothing actually printed on the paper!?????

I am so confused by this machine. Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 12 of 41 (272 Views)

The document linked below should help get actual ink on the paper.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01892627&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3645100&tmp...

Since Solution Center doesn't seem to want to work like it should, I am going to give workarounds so that you won't need Solution Center to scan or access the printer's toolbox, which is really all it does.  Solution Center does allow access to a few extra features, but I'm not sure that those features are even available on your printer.  

To bypass Soluton Center for scanning.

1. Click on the Start menu.
  2. Click on Computer.
  3. Open the C drive, or whatever your local drive is called.
  4. Open the Program Files (x86) folder.
  5. Open the HP folder.
  6. Open the Digital Imaging folder.
  7. Open the bin folder.
  8. Look for the hpiscnapp.exe and right-click on it.
  9. Select send to and tell it to create a desktop shortcut.
  10. Run the scan app.

That should get you scanning.

To bypass Solution Center to get the HP toolbox:

1. Click on the Start menu.
  2. Click on Computer.
  3. Open the C drive, or whatever your local drive is called.
  4. Open the Program Files (x86) folder.
  5. Open the HP folder.
  6. Open the Digital Imaging folder.
  7. Open the bin folder.
  8. Look for hpqtbx01.exe and right-click on it.
  9. Select Send to and tell it to create a desktop shortcut.
  10. Close the bin folder.
  11. Right-click on the hpqtbx01.exe shortcut.
  12. Select properties.
  13. In the Target box, leave what is already there and go to the end of the file path outside of the quote marks.
  14. Hit the space bar one time.
  15. In quotes, type the exact name of your printer.  It should all look something like this:  "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtbx01.exe" "HP Photosmart D110 series"
  16. Click Apply.
  17. Click OK to close the window.
  18. Now double-click the shortcut to open the printer toolbox.

That should make it to where you no longer need Solution Center.  Let me know what happens.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
robertmkmd
Message 13 of 41 (265 Views)

Sorry again. I tried but same deal. The printer goes thru the motions of printing except there is nothing actually printing. I keep getting a message that communications can't be established (when I try to install the printer it also tells me that the drivers are never actually being installed)??

The scanner works perfectly, as you suggested. What's more, I can actually print the scanned image, BUT I can't print any other filesfrom any other sources????

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 14 of 41 (253 Views)

When you installed the printer, did you wait for the software to ask for a USB connection, or did you connect the USB cable before it asked for the connection?

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
robertmkmd
Message 15 of 41 (244 Views)

i waited until it asked

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 16 of 41 (241 Views)

That's good.  How long is the USB cable you're using?  If it's over 6ft. (roughly 2m) then it may be too long and causing signal loss.  

Signature
Tutor
robertmkmd
Message 17 of 41 (231 Views)

sorry, it's not and i have tried multiple usb cables of different lengths all without success. When I scan a document (which works perfectly) I can print the scanned image (which I have saved then printed, not just directly printed as it's scanned). Yet I can't print any other file on the computer, irregardless of the file type (I even tried to save as a pdf file as I was saving the scanned file as pdf, but still can't print)!!!???????

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 18 of 41 (224 Views)

Try removing the device.  It won't completely uninstall the printer software, but it will remove the printer from the computer.  To do that, open Devices and Printer and right-click on your printer.  Select Remove devices from the list.  Once you have that done, click on the Start menu, click All Programs, click the HP folder, click on the folder for your printer, and select Add Device ( it may be labled as Printer Setup).  That will let you add the printer back to the computer and should reconnect everything like it is supposed to be.

Signature
Tutor
robertmkmd
Message 19 of 41 (220 Views)

I have removed the device but have no option to 'add device' in the HP folder for my printer. The only options listed are:

help

product registration

product support website

readme

uninstall

Thanks.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 20 of 41 (219 Views)

Is there an Add a Device anywhere in the HP folder?

Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation