Question

Intern
mbratch
Message 1 of 12 (9,043 Views)
Accepted Solution

"Scan to computer is no longer activated" false error

[ Edited ]

Hello

I purchased and installed an HP DeskJet 3521. It's configured for wifi connectivity to a couple of computers on our home network. One laptop is Windows 8 64-bit. The other is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

The printer seems to work flawlessly. However, the driver regularly (as in every several minutes or so) pops up a message saying "Scan to computer is no longer activated" or something like that. It appears from the system tray. It then fades away after a few seconds. The printer seems otherwise to be working fine. This occurs on both laptops.

The laptops are in the same room as the printer and the router. Signal strength is high.

Why is this message occurring and is there a fix for it?

Thanks

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 2 of 12 (9,035 Views)

Re: "Scan to computer is no longer activated" false error

Try setting a static IP in the printer outside the DHCP range of the router.  Set your router to a fixed wireless channel like 1,6 or 11 never 'auto'.  Now try.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I worked for HP but now I'm retired!
Intern
mbratch
Message 3 of 12 (9,034 Views)

OK I shall give those a try when I get the chance. I did try previously setting a fixed channel on the router a few weeks ago (based upon another posting I saw similar to mine) and it didn't fix the problem. However, I did not try fixed IP.
Student
camecha
Message 4 of 12 (8,808 Views)

I have tried everything I can find on so many websites to get rid of this stupid message.

Nobody can explain it in a term that most people can understand.

I am pretty good with computers, but this one is beyond me.

Can you please give me a fix that is easy to understand?  Or shall I just ditch this stupid HP printer and get another one because this stupid message is doing my head in!!!

Intern
mbratch
Message 5 of 12 (8,800 Views)

None of the suggestions worked for me. I just said to heck with it and I disabled the scan-to-computer feature. It's not a big deal. The feature doesn't add that much value anyway. I still have to walk to the scanner to put the original on, then go to the computer to get the results. So I just put the original on the scanner, go to the computer and run the scan from the computer.

Student
StoweVT
Message 6 of 12 (7,443 Views)

Hi -

This post is from some time ago - But my HP Officejet 6500A Plus started behaving the same as you describe, and I found it is when I connect to a client's VPN, I lose the connection from my laptop to the Scanning device, since the client VPN disables network access to anythinh other than their own periphiral devices (Printers/Scanners/Shredders) etc...

Student
Tugey
Message 7 of 12 (6,872 Views)

I wouldn't be too quick to ditch your printer based on that.  I just purchased a new printer middle of September and I get that same message.  It is a Officejet Pro 8600 wireless.  I don't seem to have a problem with my scan.    It might just be one of those irritating things you can't get rid of.  You may just take on another of the same message with the new one.

Student
MeowMom6
Message 8 of 12 (5,747 Views)

How do I activate my scanner.  It was working and now is not.  Also, I can't get my fax to work either.  I have a wireless connection.

Tutor
ITGuy1969
Message 9 of 12 (5,622 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is most likely the same problem I have had with HP printers for years.  It happens when the printer goes into a power saving sleep state and drops connectivity.  In order to remedy the issue, one needs to walk over to the printer and cycle the power.  It has NOTHING to do with your router or static/dynamic IP allocation.  It is entiely the fault of crappy firmware and software from HP.  The HP "experts" are playing the same old blame-the-other-manufacturer or blame-the-user game that HP has always played.

My current HP printer is the third sub-standard HP product that I have owned...out of three (yes, I know...shame on me twice over).  I owned a top end, expensive laptop that overheated when playing a youtube video and two printers that disconnected when they entered sleep mode.  It will be the last HP product that I ever own...

Intern
AnotherRufus
Message 10 of 12 (5,417 Views)

A Google search of the phrase “Scan to computer is no longer activated” brought me here. My printer is a Photosmart 7520, that I've had for almost a year, and I am running Windows 7.

Recently a small popup displaying the phrase would appear on my screen and quickly disappear, so quickly that it took me a couple of looks before I was able to read the whole phrase.

That doesn’t bother me. What bothers me is something fairly new that I am certain is connected to that popup. Over the last couple of days, my printer would suddenly emit some sounds Mechanical sounds and musical notes) similar to when it starts up. The touch screen, that had been blank because the printer was sitting there inactive for quite a while, appears at the same time. Shortly after the screen goes dark again – until the next occurrence.

As I said, this sound and touch screen illumination new.

Any ideas what’s happening and how I can stop this annoyance?

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation