scan failure Photosmart C4480 all-in-one (2432 Views)
Tutor
ricklee64
Message 1 of 29 (2,432 Views)
Accepted Solution

scan failure Photosmart C4480 all-in-one

Get "Scan Failure" every time computer is turned on. Printer works. Will not scan from unit. The software (HP Solution Center) will run scans, but the unit will not. Must be a hardware issue with the scanner? Have uninstalled, reinstalled software and drivers. Updated all that can be updated. Recently moved from XP computer to new Win7 computer and same problem on both OS. Would be willing to disassemble to replace parts.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 2 of 29 (2,414 Views)

Re: scan failure Photosmart C4480 all-in-one

Scanner failure normally means the scanner lamp has gone out, but if you can still scan, then that's not the problem, since you wouldn't be able too scan at all if it was.  You can try following the scanner failure document to clear the message, but I'm betting your getting it because the scan options haven't been enabled on the printer.  You can follow the steps in this document to enable the scan options.  Let me know what happens.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
ricklee64
Message 3 of 29 (2,400 Views)

Thanks for your reply. Nice to hear from an HP Printer Tech.  I have my A+ Cert, but it doesn't cover this stuff. I tried some of the more logical suggestions in those documents. Even uninstalled the software and downloaded the latest for 64 bit Windows just in case it didn't take last time. Now I can't scan from the software either. I get this error

scanner error.gif

I've found no other programs using the printer, and I restarted and got the same error. While the printer was uninstalled, the status screen on the printer still gives the scanner failure error when resetting the power. When I open the lid, I see the scan light on. Should I just buy a new printer? During installation there was an error log. Should I send that to you if I can find it?

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 4 of 29 (2,394 Views)

To be honest I'm not sure why the printer says scanner failure, and was still able to scan, because it shouldn't.  The software on this printer and Win 7 don't really get along.  It's easier to get a new printer with software designed more for Win 7, but the printer was working, so you should be able to get it working again.  It's really up to you if you want to keep trying or not.  Attach a screen shot of the error log, and I'll see if I can figure out what is going on, if you want to continue.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
ricklee64
Message 5 of 29 (2,391 Views)

I'll try searching for that error log, tho I don't think it will help much since it was an error on install of part of the WebSmart program. Yes, it's baffling that it stopped working while on XP, before installing on Win7. There is a small chance that it got damaged when we moved, since that is when it stopped working. Is there anything you think could have been damaged? I had it packed well, but maybe it got bumped the wrong way. It looks fine from the outside.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 6 of 29 (2,388 Views)

It could have gotten internal damage real easy.  The scan system is very sensitive.  It could be that a sensor on the scanner lamp messed up, or that something isn't reading right when it does it's self-tests.  I'm not really sure which, but either could have been caused by a good bump.  

The error logs important because if it was a fatal error that caused the install to stop, it could have messed up the entire install even though only a part errored out.  I just want to make sure that isn't what's happened.

Signature
Tutor
ricklee64
Message 7 of 29 (2,386 Views)

I found the error log, but I can't get it posted here due to being over 50,000 characters. I tried pasting as Word and also as Code.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 8 of 29 (2,385 Views)

Use the snipping tool to take screen shots of it, and post the screen shots.

Signature
Tutor
ricklee64
Message 9 of 29 (2,383 Views)

[ Edited ]

(Pictures deleted due to large size.)

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 10 of 29 (2,381 Views)

For some reason the image isn't showing.  I'll send you a private message so i can get the error logs.

Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation