Question

Tutor
Jnorman
Message 1 of 8 (3,282 Views)
Accepted Solution

scanning a multiple page document from hp 8500 a909a results in separate scans for each page

I have a MacBookAir operating on Apple's latest software, Lion. I have a OfficeJet 8500 A909a. I want to scan a multiple page document from the scanner into my computer. I want to use the document feeder. The document feeds into the scanner, but each page is scanned into a separate file. I want each page to scan successively into one file. I am a new user of MacBook. (My Dell Windows based computer can do this successfully.)

HP Support Agent
Jon-W
Message 2 of 8 (3,277 Views)

Re: scanning a multiple page document from hp 8500 a909a results in separate scans for each page

There are a few ways to do this. First of it has to be saved as a PDF files in order to save to the same file. If you are using hp scan to do this it should do it automatically if you are using the document preset. If you are using apple scan, there is usually a check box for combine items to single file if you choose pdf as the file type.

Jon-W
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the KUDOS STAR on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Tutor
Jnorman
Message 3 of 8 (3,274 Views)

Re: scanning a multiple page document from hp 8500 a909a results in separate scans for each page

Sorry, I'm a brand new MacBookAir user transitioning from a PC. On my computer where would I go to check a box to combine items into a single file?? Thanks for your reply.

HP Support Agent
Jon-W
Message 4 of 8 (3,270 Views)

It depends on which method you are scanning with. If you are using apple scan or image capture, you may ahve to open the app and go to show details. Then when you choose pdf the checkboxshould appear. Apple scan is just going to open scanning from the print and scan window, and image capture is thesame thing just launched from applications.

Within hp scan it depends on the version of scan being used. If it is just hp scan i believe there is a profile settings option when you highlight documents, and there should be a checkbox in there.

Jon-W
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Tutor
Jnorman
Message 5 of 8 (3,262 Views)

I have no apps. I don't know what apple scan is? When I attempt to scan, I do the following:

1) load document into document feeder

2) open System Preferences"

3) open "Print & Scan"

4) Choose "Scan" in Print & Scan box

5) open "Scanner"

6) Box " OfficeJet Pro 8500 A909a" opens

7) under mode, I choose "document Feeder", then hit "Scan"button

8) the document scans and if, say, two pages, then I get two separate files, what I want is one file with both pages sequentially

What I am I doing wrong here??

HP Support Agent
Jon-W
Message 6 of 8 (3,259 Views)

Ok so you are using apple scan in this case. When you are at step 7 in your list, there should be a show details button, click that. You should see the format option now along the right, set it to PDF, and a box should show up saying combine to single file.

Jon-W
I work on behalf of HP

Tutor
Jnorman
Message 7 of 8 (3,253 Views)

Your assistance is greatly appreciated! Not only can I now do the Apple Scan, but I have found the HP Scan App. I can scan multiple pages into one document with either system.

Honor Student
bohuge
Message 8 of 8 (3,104 Views)

I have an HP Photosmart 5510 and have the same issue.   HOWEVER, it also saves to a single file on my LenovoT420.   I will proceed with the directions above for the iMAC but appreciate direction for the lenovo.  I did find the setting on the lenovo that gives you the option to save to a single file or separate.  I have it set to single file but it is still saving to separate?   Of note, I don't think I can put in the feeder (not an option?) so I have to manually do one page at a time.  Is this the issue?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation