Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I have an HP OfficeJet J6480 All In One - when I scan a text document to PDF, the file size is enormous - one page is at least 600Kb at 150 dpi - this makes for files too large to email if scanning 10 plus pages. Is there a setting to change to reduce file size while leaving the scan easily readable? Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

if you are using HP Ssolution Center version 10, download a version 12 software from photosmart c6380. use the advanced installation to select a Custom settings. Check the box for Imaging device function and HP Solution Center then uncheck the rest. select USB connection type. at the lower left bottom corner you will see a box that says "if you cant connect the device....connect the device later...", check that box.

mod edit: Also, here is a link to Nickyton81's other post with installation instructions:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Scan&message.id=2307#M2307

Message Edited by WendyM on 04-27-2009 12:12 PM

View solution in original post

134 REPLIES 134
HP Recommended
nope. there's no easy way to reduce file size while having a good scan quality. i think 600Kb is pretty small. and if you have to email them, then using sites like www.sendspace.com to upload it will be easier. then you'll have a single link for the documents, and you can email the link.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
HP Recommended

I respectfully beg to differ. A 600Kb one-page PDF is horribly oversized for the content, especially when the target resolution is set to 150 dpi. The size should 1/5 to 1/6 that. I've found that scanning to document using our C7280 produces PDFs with searchable text (although specifically NOT chosen), indicating that the true scanning resolution may be 300 dpi - the requirement for the I.R.I.S. OCR software. I've found that using Adobe Acrobat Standard tools for making PDF files smaller helps a little bit, although it still has the unnecessary overhead of the searchable text. And this is an extra step and software cost that not everyone can afford.

C'mon HP, fix this! This is an embarassment for an all-in-one machine. No one wants to get a 10-page document that is over 6 Mb in space.

HP Recommended
the default dpi is 300. the lowest you can select is 75 dpi for documents, and 150 dpi for pictures. if the file size when scanned with 75 dpi is not enough, then you'll have to use 3rd party PDF processors to reduce the size.
HP Recommended

DexterM, thanks for responding, but I have been trying to reduce resolution and file size through lowered ppi settings to no avail. Despite saving, I think correctly, settings for much lower ppi settings, the file sizes are not reduced, the PDF is always searchable (I don't need or want that), and I'm guessing the true resolution is closer to 300 ppi, though I can't be sure.

Check out the following threads please, which goes into more detail. I have tried most everything and now have given up, until I get some better direction or acknowledgement that the problem exists. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, installed on different computers, and spent hours with chat and on-the-phone HP techs, but cannot get satisfaction. Shouldn't the HP software, out-of-the-box, be capable of producing PDF pages that average closer to 100 Kb with the lowest quality settings? So far, it's nowhere even close.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Scan&message.id=112&query.id=799471#M112

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Scan&thread.id=3

Please, I'm begging for some attention to this. Otherwise the scan to PDF capability is useless to me, since we're scanning many +10 page documents for e-mail attachment.

HP Recommended
there are 2 PDF file type options you can scan to using our software, (normal) PDF and PDF Searchable. you are scanning it as PDF Searchable, correct? have you tried scanning it to a normal PDF and had the same results also?

EDIT: i saw ur post in the 2nd thread you posted where you have tried scanning to PDF without searchable text. so no need to reply to this, and ill see what i can do.
Message Edited by DexterM on 01-08-2009 10:33 PM
HP Recommended
Thanks for the comments - while the problem isn't solved, at least I know I'm not missing something obvious.  I have tried changing the setting to PDF from PDF Searchable with very little reduction in file size.  Other than reducing dpi in PDF to very small, the only progress I've made is to scan to WORD which is more cumbersome a process.
HP Recommended
i consulted my co-workers just to be sure, and it seems like there are no other options to reduce the file size of the scans other than reducing dpi to 75. there are no other options available from the software that can reduce the file size. this seems to be the minimum file size when scanning from our printers.
HP Recommended

As I indicated in the other thread, I tried all the lowest resolution settings, always trying to choose "scan to PDF without searchable text". Here are the results I had:

B&W scan, 75 ppi: 920 KB
Grayscale scan, 75 ppi: 745 KB
Color scan, 75 ppi: 709 KB
Color scan, 300 ppi: 942 KB
Color scan, 1200 ppi: 943 KB

Any explanation? I'd happily scan at 75 ppi if the result were a small file - in my experience, it's not. Please kick it up the technical chain to software/developer and have someone confirm or deny this is a real problem.

It's occurred on two different installations, despite choosing the plain Document to PDF scan setting. The ppi settings don't work to reduce file size.

Message Edited by Joeley on 01-08-2009 10:50 AM
HP Recommended
Thanks to both of you for your help
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.