Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
laserjet 1536dnf mfp

my document feeder is not recognizing that there is paper in the top feeder for the scan/fax option. i can scan and copy from the glass ok. usually when i feed a document in the top feeder the diplay would say "document loaded" it doesnt do that anymore. i have opened and checked for debris or blockages=none, i have powered off, no change, i have removed the power cord and re-booted no change. there is a smal black plastic arm or lever that is in tact and moves, rollers are all clean and move freely. help !!!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @timallrv,

I understand you're having issues with your automatic document feeder (ADF) on your HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf Multifunction Printer.  I will certainly do my best to help you.

Here's a document I recommend that you try, 'Document feeder mispick' Message Displays on the Control Panel and the ADF Does Not Pick Up Paper o...

Solution one: Check the paper in the ADF
Paper feed issues in the ADF might result from dusty, torn, wrinkled, wet, or folded paper in the ADF tray. The quality of the paper can also make a difference. Use only good quality paper that meets printer specifications. Follow these steps to check the condition of the original paper.
  1. Remove the original document from the ADF.
  2. Examine the condition of the original, and then replace any ripped, dusty, curled, wrinkled, or bent pages.
  3. Make sure that the original is a supported paper type for the ADF.
  4. Make sure that all original pages are the same size and type. Never load mixed types of paper in the ADF. The printer can only process one type of paper at a time.
  5. Reload the original document print side up in the document feeder tray. Gently slide the document into the printer as far as it will go.
     NOTE:
    Do not load more than 35 pages in the ADF. Larger stacks of paper can lead to pick problems.
  6. Adjust the paper guides until they are snug against the paper.
  7. Press OK to continue the current task.
  • If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.
  • If the issue persists, see the next solution.
Solution two: Clean the ADF rollers and the separator pad
Dust or paper residue on the rollers or separator pad inside the ADF can cause paper feed issues. Follow these steps to clean the ADF rollers and separator pad.
  1. Gather the following materials:
    • A clean, lint-free cloth, or any cloth that will not come apart or leave fibers
    • Distilled, filtered, or bottled water (tap water might damage the printer)
  2. Remove the originals from the ADF.
  3. Press the Power button to turn off the printer.
  4. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  5. Open the ADF cover, and then find the rollers and the separator pad.
  6.  Figure : ADF rollers and separator pad
    Illustration showing locations of the ADF rollers and separator pad

1. ADF rollers
    2. Separator pad
  7. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth with filtered or distilled water, and then squeeze any excess liquid from the cloth.
  8. Use the damp cloth to wipe any residue off the rollers and the separator pad.
  9. Leave the ADF open for two minutes to allow the pick rollers and separator pad to dry
  10. Close the ADF cover.
  11. Reload the original document print side up in the document feeder tray. Gently slide the document into the printer as far as it will go.
     NOTE:
    Do not load more than 35 pages in the ADF. Larger stacks of paper can lead to pick problems.
  12. Adjust the paper guides until they are snug against the paper.
  13. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  14. Press the Power button to turn on the printer.
  15. Test the ADF. Press the Start Copy button () to make a copy.
  • If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.
  • If the issue persists, see the next solution.

Contacting HP for service in all countries/regions except Asia Pacific.
If you completed all the preceding steps and your product still has an issue, service the product.
First, go to HP Printer Warranty Check to check your warranty status, and then go to Contact HP to find an authorized service dealer or to schedule a repair. Repair fees might apply for out of warranty printers.

Video: Fixing Paper Pick-Up Issues - HP LaserJet Pro M1212nf

I hope this help! :generic:

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.