Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 8 (8,733 Views)

unable to communicate with scanner message,paperport 12 and omnipage 17 when upgraded to windows 7

upgraded to win 7, 64 bit , new drivers v.13, paperport 12 and omnipage 17 give me  message, unable to communicate with scanning device. Anyone have a fix.  officejet pro 8500
Top Student
Message 2 of 8 (8,676 Views)

Re: unable to communicate with scanner message,paperport 12 and omnipage 17 when upgraded to windows

apparently no one else has this problem.  Hard to believe.  Tried everything and looked everywhere. Tried reset, rebbot, uninstall reinstall, uninstall all software and reoinstall even with techs on phone.  What a waste of time and effort.  Please help? 

Teacher
scandroid
Message 3 of 8 (8,638 Views)

Re: unable to communicate with scanner message,paperport 12 and omnipage 17 when upgraded to windows

kef45,

Can you scan with ms-paint or microsoft's scan & fax app?  Can you scan with the HP Solution Center?  Finally are there any other TWAIN applications you can try (photoshop, paintshop, etc.)?

I work for HP, but these words are mine alone.
Top Student
Message 4 of 8 (8,569 Views)

with all other applications, just Paperport and Omnipage 17. Itgives the message, unable to communicate with printer.  It goes thru the motions and than the error shows up. 

Top Student
Message 5 of 8 (8,535 Views)

Can you scan with ms-paint or microsoft's scan & fax app?  Can you scan with the HP Solution Center?  Finally are there any other TWAIN applications you can try (photoshop, paintshop, etc.)?

Yes I can scan using HP solution center.  Paperport is one of the choices adn if you select it it scans to my documents in paperport. Its only a problem when doing it from Paperport or Omnipage    Kt works with Adobe, Paint, word etc.

Any suggestions? Thanks.  I have spent hours with Nuance Tech support. No solution yet

Top Student
Message 6 of 8 (8,431 Views)

problem solved.  Apparently with windows 7, all nuance products as well as Dymo label 8.2 you must set up app;ication as administrator with all rights. Once you do this the program and all error ,essages disappear.  Found this with the help of a computer nerd. Nuance could not figure it out. The way we solved it was to fixe the dymo problem, than applied the same fix to Omnipage and Paperport and bingo it worked.  Unbelieveable, after weeks of apptempts and reloads and downloads.   A simple solution.  No more error problems with USB ports either.  Hope this helps others 

Tutor
DrBFMC
Message 7 of 8 (6,123 Views)

OfficeJet 8500A A910 Scanner and PaperPort 14 not communicating

I am running Windows 7 SP1 64-bit and the printer is on a wireless network.  I have spent all day trying to troubleshoot this problem with no success.  From what I can determine the scanner thinks it is not connected to the network when that is not case based on the printers network settings.  If I try to scan in a document via PaperPort 14 I get an error message that it cannot communicate with the scanner.  I tried scanning the document into MS-Paint and I get a similar message stating that it is unable to retrieve the document.  Is there a solution to this problem?

Student
robertrover
Message 8 of 8 (1,257 Views)

I am using HP4620 printer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation