Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just brought a officejet pro 8600 premium and I cannot send a fax. I get "A communication error occurred during the fax transmission. and I get error 321*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hello pa62,

There is an article describing the error you are experiencing, located here:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/buu02549

The 321 error is described as such.

Definition

There was a communication error with the receiving fax machine due to poor telephone line conditions.

Solution
Set the receiving machine to receive at a slower transmission speed
If the session fails after sending several pages of a large document, resend the document as several smaller documents.

Retry the fax reception at a different time when telephone line conditions have improved.

Call the telephone provider if line conditions fail to improve.

Please post back results as this should resolve your issue. Smiley Happy
Help the community by marking this post as a solution if it solved your issue!.

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name! It would mean a great deal. 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended
Hello pa62,

There is an article describing the error you are experiencing, located here:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/buu02549

The 321 error is described as such.

Definition

There was a communication error with the receiving fax machine due to poor telephone line conditions.

Solution
Set the receiving machine to receive at a slower transmission speed
If the session fails after sending several pages of a large document, resend the document as several smaller documents.

Retry the fax reception at a different time when telephone line conditions have improved.

Call the telephone provider if line conditions fail to improve.

Please post back results as this should resolve your issue. Smiley Happy
Help the community by marking this post as a solution if it solved your issue!.

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name! It would mean a great deal. 🙂

HP Recommended

This is the explanation given per the HP website however it is not the case with my machine. There is nothing wrong with the receiving machines as the faxes go through with no problem from another machine. I've tried turning the machine off and back on as well as unplugging the phone line and plugging it back in.  

Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

i am a technician at a phone company

new hp fax machines always give us this problem .

the line is good but does not want to send fax international

what can be done to fix this problem ????

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. Did yu ever get an answer?

Thanks

HP Recommended

I replaced the phone cord on my fax machine, plugged it securely into the wall and fax machine. I completely removed the USB cable and the fax machine is now working perfectly. Not sure which was the problem but I am up and running now.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.