Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP ProBook 6450b Base Model Notebook PC

Bought this in Sep 2011. 

Just yesterday upgraded to Windows 8. Was a breeze, everything worked initially. While rebooting, I turned the wireless off since the Windows Defender wasnot setup.

Next I realized, I cannot turn Wireless on again. Button just remains disabled.

Can only be connected on the LAN.

Search on the web revealed HP Wireless Assistant to be the culprit. this should have been removed in Win 7 before the upgrade.

Now it is too late.  Anyone has a resolution for this one?

Thanks

RG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I read in some other post that changing the BIOS settings to default should do the trick.

That seemed to work:

- Shut down laptop

- Remove power cable & battery

- Press power switch for 30 sec

-  Attach power

- Power up laptop and hit F10

- Enter BIOS and set the changes to default

That seemed to work.

Of course power, restart don't work and that is easy to fix (forced power off!). 

thx all for advice.

PS:

Bought a mac & this h-p laptop in 2011. mac went through 2 OS upgrades (cost $20) and "0" issues...

Windows 7 to Windows 8 for $40 upgrade and crazy issues....

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Press the Windows Key + C at the same time and then click on the option settings.

Then click on the option "Change Pc Settings"

Then on the PC Settings page, click on Wireless on the left side and then on the right side you will see an option to turn on the Wireless. Also make sure Airplane mode is off and the turn on the Wireless and then check if you are able to use Wi-Fi or not..

HP Recommended

that didn't work.

HP Recommended

I read in some other post that changing the BIOS settings to default should do the trick.

That seemed to work:

- Shut down laptop

-  Attach power

- Power up laptop and hit F10

- Enter BIOS and set the changes to default

That seemed to work.

Of course power, restart don't work and that is easy to fix (forced power off!). 

thx all for advice.

PS:

Bought a mac & this h-p laptop in 2011. mac went through 2 OS upgrades (cost $20) and "0" issues...

Windows 7 to Windows 8 for $40 upgrade and crazy issues....

HP Recommended

i need window 8

HP Recommended

Finally found the solution after 3 weeks.  Tried and manupulated all drivers and NIC lan card of my hp laptop dv6 7011tx.

UNINSTALL HP Quick Launch which caused the whole lot of problems and do the following 

- Shut down laptop

-  Attach power

- Power up laptop without battery

- Switch on wifi ---it works

- Now switch on the laptop with battery

HP quick launch describes itself as "

Description

This package contains the HP Quick Launch Software, which enables special function keys on supported notebook models to be programmed. For example, the HP Quick Launch Software enables users to press the Fn+ESC keys to view system information. This software works with the supported operating systems. "

Note  :
                          This is the main problem.  I have found after seeing the internal working of this driver.  It caused the keys to work in its own described way thus overriding the wifi f12 button functionality to change from orange to white or white to orange.

After  and when restarting :
                                                       Put the computer to sleep and wake it up to find wifi on.

On normal shutdown and booting:
                                                                   Wifi works perfectly.

Note to HP:

Please check the working of HP Quick Launch Software.  I could find its algorithm and functioning and its made to override the default windows 8 key designed for HP.

Give me kudos if it works. 
Give me kudos if it works. And mark it is a Solution.

Thank you all for support and help.

Rahul
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.