Question

Top Student
Landy
Message 1 of 6 (2,657 Views)

Colour problems when attaching an external monitor to my tx1320

I recently bought a large external monitor to allow me to use a bigger screen when using my hp laptop.

After plugging it in I found that the external monitor was showing absolutely no red tint even when I increased its rendering to the maximum value on the monitor's own controls and reduced the blue and green rendering to zero.

I then tried the monitor on a friends laptop, which is also an HP but of a different series, and the monitor worked perfectly. THis led me to believe that the pin which transfers information on the red spectrum is damaged on the VGA output from my computer. In other words, my laptop's socket that allows external displays to be attached to it isnt emitting all the data it should be. I have tried different VGA leads between the monitor and the laptop and the problem persists.

Is there any way I can fix this and could it be a problem with the colour management? Thanks

Professor
Charles001
Message 2 of 6 (2,588 Views)

Did you try another monitor/cable just to confirm?

It could be connection was loose or need cleaning.
======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Top Student
Landy
Message 3 of 6 (2,567 Views)

Re: Did you try another monitor/cable just to confirm?

I did and the problem persisted. Funnily enough however I recently connected a monitor to it and it suddenly flashed on with colour, off again, and has so far stayed on. Im afraid to unplug the screen in case the colour goes away again. Is there any indication what this problem could be?

Honor Student
Thaddus
Message 4 of 6 (2,521 Views)

Landy,

It sounds like you have a bad connection with one or more of the pins between the on the monitor and the holes on the computer.  If you knew which pin it was you might try bending it ever so slightly so that it make a slightly better connections with the sides of the hole.  I hope that this helps.  And if it is working I would just keep it hooked up if you do not need to move the laptop.

Top Student
Landy
Message 5 of 6 (2,513 Views)

It randomly flickered all the colours after I kept it on for over an hour, flickered back to blue/green after a while and then back to full colour. I think it is the graphics card, too, after that happened. So far it is still showing colour even after I unplug it but I am still worried it will revert back to blue/green
Honor Student
michaeljackson
Message 6 of 6 (2,379 Views)

I got the same problem. I 've tried many monitors, same result. The red color was missing at the beginning and it randomly came back and went away.

Is this a problem of video card?

my laptop is tx1414ca

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation