Question

Honor Student
djkyzer
Message 1 of 9 (3,202 Views)

HP TM2 Touchscreen Tablet Pc will no longer turn on

So, my TM2 just suddenly tuned off on me. 

Now, only type of repsonse I get is when i plug in the charger. I get an orange light which should signify the battery charging?

When i try to flip the power switch to 'ON' the orange light turns off and there's no other response.

Ive tried removing the battery for a while and reseating to no avail. Also, no response when trying to switch on with direct power.

Dead motherboard or CPU? Or could it be a bad power supply???

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Oh, and my warranty is no longer valid ;(

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 9 (3,195 Views)

Re: HP TM2 Touchscreen Tablet Pc will no longer turn on

Welcome to the HP Forum! :smileyhappy:

djkyzer wrote:

So, my TM2 just suddenly tuned off on me. 

Now, only type of repsonse I get is when i plug in the charger. I get an orange light which should signify the battery charging?

When i try to flip the power switch to 'ON' the orange light turns off and there's no other response.

Ive tried removing the battery for a while and reseating to no avail. Also, no response when trying to switch on with direct power.

Dead motherboard or CPU? Or could it be a bad power supply???

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Oh, and my warranty is no longer valid ;(

Try a hard reset:

Remove the battery and unplug the DC power adapter.
press and hold the power button for more than fifteen seconds.
plug in the DC power adapter (leave the battery out for now)
press the power button

Please identify your Touchscreen Tablet PC with the complete product name. See my signature for an example.

Kind regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
djkyzer
Message 3 of 9 (3,194 Views)

Tahnks for the reply, Erico.

Unfortunately, I had already tried the hard reset to no avail.

I own an HP Touchsmart TM2 XG892UA

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 9 (3,192 Views)

djkyzer wrote:

Tahnks for the reply, Erico.

Unfortunately, I had already tried the hard reset to no avail.

I own an HP Touchsmart TM2 XG892UA

Hi djkyzer,

One thing you may want to try is disconnecting the RTC Battery (the BIOS battery) and then performing a hard reset. Here is a link to the Maintenence & Service guide for the TM2 notebook. Look in the component replacement procedures for the RTC battery. Removing the battery, installing a single memory module and then performing a hard reset while the battery is removed sometimes has the effect of bringing a notebook back to life. It does not always work but is worth trying.

You may also consider removing the memory module(s) and putting a single module in the lower soDIMM slot and then trying a start. A faulty memory module can also cause the symptoms you are seeing. Try each module in the lower slot.

Best regards,

erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
djkyzer
Message 5 of 9 (3,065 Views)

i tried the latter to no avail

I ended up ordering a replacement motherboard. Installed it, made sure no cables were left unconnected. Was a pretty simple task, just alot of screws.

After all is said is done i re-inserted the battery, NEW RAM modules and plugged in the AC. The AC input led is turned on (white-blueish). When i try to switch the power on there is absoultely no response. I double-checked to make sure there was no missing connections and everything is where it should be.

I tried hard resets even though its a new board and RAM.

At this point im not sure what else i CAN do. Im thinking i may have a bad power switch board??? Do you think that may be possible?

Ive managed to find one on ebay for $25, but would rather get direct from HP if possible.

Any further help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Honor Student
star85201a
Message 6 of 9 (2,964 Views)

I am having the very same issue with the same product. I tried resetting the hard test but nothing happened. I don't know if it's the battery or a hard drive issue. I've had my touchsmart for a year, no problems until now. If you happen to solve your issues can you please let me know? I'm  thinking about taking it in to a shop and know it's gonna cost a fortune...*sigh*.

Honor Student
teamster
Message 7 of 9 (2,963 Views)

My tx 2000 suffers same thing every year. They say they are replacing monitor board but it doesn't appear to be accessing hard drive when I try to boot up. Extended warranty ended one month ago. Can't buy an other hp.
Honor Student
djkyzer
Message 8 of 9 (2,655 Views)

I feel for y'all. I ended up replacing the power switch. Now i get a solid orangle light next to the charger port and for the wifi button. Still not able to turn it on.

Student
MKTablet
Message 9 of 9 (1,988 Views)

Has there been any update to this problem?  I just got my hands on a tm2 and am having the same issue.

Plug in the power cord - white led  (turns to red if the battery is in)

Slide the power switch - light goes out and everything is dead

MK

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation