Question

Top Student
shadowyani
Message 21 of 43 (2,229 Views)

Re: HP tm2 Color Quality

I posted this over at tabletpcreview.com . Its worth mentioning here. In summary what I see when using the INTEL card in 16-Bit mode is identical to what I see when using the ATI card in 32-bit mode:

There's a way to confirm for a fact that you're using 32-bit. Windows 7's Aero feature does not work at a bit depth less than 32-bit, it literally is incapable of it. If Aero is on, you're in 32-bit.

However, even if you decide to run the Intel IGP and you are in 16-bit, the color banding associated with this lower color depth is not nearly as startling as ATI and 32-bit (but very similar).

Perhaps then, we may be able to conclude that the connector between the ATI chip and the screen isn't actually faulty, but is actually only capable of displaying in 16-bit no matter what the feed is? Perhaps HP decided based on the rationale that we very rarely use our ATI cards, that it would be inconsequential for them to use a less capable connector for it. It seems to make sense, since most users don't notice the color depth deficiency the way you did.

EDIT: I take back what I said about 16-bit Intel looking better than 32bit ATI. They look IDENTICAL. This may indeed be a case of a 16-bit connector between ATI card and TM2's monitor.

Honor Student
gorfocsid
Message 22 of 43 (2,218 Views)

When using the intel graphics at 32-bit the color banding is almost unnoticeable. I see what you mean when I switch the intel to 16-bit, it is worse than the ATI at 32-bit, but very close to one another.

Other than the ATI graphics not performing the way it should I love this computer.

Top Student
webgraf
Message 23 of 43 (2,205 Views)

ATI color banding doesn't looks like 16-bit color mode(neither ATI nor Intel). As for my expirence it looks more like 24-bit color. I had such mode on the old CRT-monitor.

So the problem could be with physical connectors to monitor?

Top Student
droduw
Message 24 of 43 (2,015 Views)

[ Edited ]

Finally, I found another post with people experiencing this problem! There are other posts out there describing this same problem but I didn't know what color banding was until I read this thread....and it is exactly what I'm experiencing with my recently purchased tmt2 when using the ATI graphics. It is really annoying and a shame since I was looking forward to having something better than the standard integrated graphics.

So far HP support has had me restore to factory settings,do a hard reset, reinstall drivers, and all have done nothing to fix the problem.

Has anyone made any progress to address this issue? I'll be following this thread closely.

more of the same...

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-touchsmart-tm2-wacom/36130-ati-color-banding-4.html

Intern
tfmaster
Message 25 of 43 (1,979 Views)

[ Edited ]

I just noticed I have this same problem on my tx2. Never really thought about it or noticed anything it about until now. :smileysad: At least you guys can switch to another card and I'm stuck with the same ATI one.

Top Student
droduw
Message 26 of 43 (1,910 Views)

So I called HP support again, this time explaining the problem as color banding, and was told that HP is aware of the issue and it has been "escalated"...not sure what that means exactly. The technician said the problem is likely with ATI's drivers and that HP has to wait until ATI can release new drivers until they can recommend anything else.

I also emailed AMD/ATI , refrencing this thread, and asked if they are aware of the problem and if there are plans to address it.  Haven't heard back from them yet.

Student
chetorch
Message 27 of 43 (1,882 Views)

Hurray for issue escalation!! :smileyvery-happy:

While I'm not glad that I'm having this same problem, its a good thing to know that there are other people out there aware of the issue and getting HP's attention. I too have emailed HP regarding this issue, this was before I could find any information regarding this problem and I always recieved the same response; to send my tm2 in for repairs. I did it once and they returned it rest back to factory condition, software reset, and still have the same issues.

so keep sending those emails people! We need this fixed!

Top Student
webgraf
Message 28 of 43 (1,868 Views)

Guys, where do I need email to?

I wish to join this

Top Student
droduw
Message 29 of 43 (1,851 Views)

[ Edited ]

Reply from AMD/ATI:

"Have you tried the driver provided from our website?  Is that not working? Have you tried the driver HP offers? Is that not working?

Please recall that the driver posted on our site for Mobility Graphics is provided 'as is' without support. It is only a reference driver.

Like others in the threads noted, if you connect an external display, the problem isn't there.  This makes sense because my first reaction to "color banding" is that it is very much dependant upon the quality of the screen.  No doubt a little tablet screen is not using the best of display panels.  Have you contacted HP about this? Are they aware of the problem? What do they say?

In our CCC, I myself cannot think of any setting that might help out to resolve the color banding."

Something tells me this is going to be a blame game between HP and ATI and neither is going to want to fix the problem.

Honor Student
Stewge
Message 30 of 43 (1,657 Views)

Just chiming in to say this is a problem that is seriously pissing me off with my new TM2.

The problem is simple:

1) The screen is a 6bit panel (common among laptops).

2) Dithering is enabled when on Intel Graphics which allows 6-bit panels to effectively display full 8-bit colour.

3) Dithering is NOT working when switched over to the ATI 5450.

A BIOS tweak would be the easiest way to fix this by simply forcing dithering on for both cards -> screen.

Going for a driver based solution will only hide the underlying problem which is technically not AMD/ATIs problem.  AMD/ATI cannot be expected to force dithering all the time in drivers because this would stop true 8bit colour from working.

HP need to fix this, this to me is the one small thing holding the TM2 back.

Note: For those who don't understand the colour bits, 8-bit means 8 per sub-pixel (8 red, 8 green, 8 blue) for a total of 24-bits (True Colour).  Many panel makers reduce this to 6-bits per sub-pixel (for a total of 18-bits) and use dithering techniques to simulate the extra bits.  This is a very common process, but as we all know now, sticks out like a sore thumb when dithering isn't working.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation