HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
11-05-2010 04:16 AM
When I use my laptop while it is plugged in where my wrists touch the edge of the notebook I get a small electrical shock, it doesn't happen when I'm running on the battery alone. I have had this computer (TouchSmart tm2 1070 us) for about 21 months now so I don't know who to talk to about these shocks.
11-05-2010 07:03 PM
ok, I tried a different power cable but the **bleep** thing still keeps shocking me. I have tried searching the hp page but cannot find a way to contact someone to help me fix this. I would like to use my computer without fear of touching the metal parts (almost the whole laptop).
11-16-2010 05:10 PM
Please contact with HP and inform them about this problem. How to do it all informations here (just choose your country).
12-08-2010 12:37 PM
As far as I know, this might be a voltage leak, where all those excess voltages runs along the conductive parts of the hardware. In my case, I get it when I attach my Lexmark printer's USB to the notebook. I thought it was a sharp edge, but since when do computers have exposed sharp edges?
When I remove the USB plug, the problem goes away. Turns out it the USB plug itself is the one giving out the shocks. I'd like to note that the printer's the only two-pin appliance in my room (the rest are three-pinned), so I think it's because there's no grounding wire to prevent voltage problems.
Donno... it might be the case with your notebook power cable. I'm not sure if certain countries give notebook owners two-pinned versions, though. I get a three-pinned one, so whatever voltage problem should be solved by the third grounding pin.
Any help for my technical problems is appreciated. =)
05-05-2011 05:29 PM
I've been having the same problem. Unfortunetely my laptop is now out of warranty, so HP won't help. (I've found it impossible to contact HP about this, since the system always stops me as soon as it knows my warranty is expired). I've looked around the net and it seems that this problem is common amongts the pavilion series laptops, (I have a pavilion dv6). So far no one has found a solution to this, and HP is ignoring the issue.
05-16-2011 08:22 AM
hi good day. i had been having such problems but not as shocking as you have... :-)
i came to think that it might be due to the metal casing (aluminum for tm2) which is a conductor of electricity. my skin on contact gets a tingling sensation every time i run the tm2 in power plug, on batts though no prob..make sure your grounding system is adequate and that the power source is appropriate to prevent electrical conversion more than the capacity of your adapter (which i suppose is a cause for electrical problems)..for the meantime thats what we can do..
this might not help since most laptops are metallic in nature and do conduct electric charges (and a metal casing will add up to the conduction), i hope HP could do something about this. It's my first time to use HP tm2 2100ee and im loving it (except for the tingling sensations though)