Question

Student
iamvivianxu
Message 1 of 14 (14,818 Views)

touchsmart Tx2z - laptop turns on but screen stays blank

This happened to me just 2 days ago, and at first I thought maybe if I left my laptop alone for a while everything will be fine, but everytime i try to turn it on, all that happens is the Caps lock and number lock button keep flashing every few seconds and the screen stays black and it just stays that way. I don't know what to do and how this even happened. Please help!

Master's Graduate
Jolly_Rogers
Message 2 of 14 (14,803 Views)

Re: touchsmart Tx2z - laptop turns on but screen stays blank

[ Edited ]

System Validation Failure Table

Test                        Failure                                 AC Power                             Power                    CAP/NUM            Charge

Power                     AC adapter                           OFF                                        OFF                        OFF                        OFF

Power                     Battery (low charge)           Disconnect                            OFF                        OFF                        Blink

Power                     Battery (failure)                   Disconnect                            OFF                        OFF                        OFF

CPU                        CPU not functional               ON                                          ON                         Blink = 1                 OFF

BIOS                       BIOS Corruption                    ON                                         ON                        Blink = 2                  OFF

Memory                   Module error                          ON                                         ON                        Blink = 3                  OFF

Graphics                No controller                          ON                                          ON                         Blink = 4                OFF

SB                           Other failure                           ON                                           ON                         Blink = 5               OFF

Power = Power button LED

AC Power = AC Power LED

Charge = Battery charge LED

CAP/NUM = CAPs Lock/Num Lock LEDs

SB = System Board

The “other failure” in table means the POST failure that prevents the system from reaching turning

on LCD.

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
Master's Graduate
Jolly_Rogers
Message 3 of 14 (14,800 Views)

Depending on the failure, it will display the above blink codes. You can try to do a power reset on the unit. You need to remove the AC Adapter and battery from the unit, and hold the Power button down for about 15 seconds. Then connect the AC Adapter and check if you can power on the unit. In case the unit still does not power on, this could be a hardware failure on the unit.

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
ratseal
Message 4 of 14 (14,687 Views)

Please interpret the nonstop blinking

I have the same problem with a TX2 1370US. I understand about the error codes that depend on the blink count for interpretation, however, none of the listed codes nor your response addresses the question. 

If the capslock and num lock LEDs never stop blinking, what is the error? On my PC the blink interval is 3 seconds and the on duration is about 1 second, and the LEDs will flash without stopping. 

Looking forward to your reply. 

Honor Student
ratseal
Message 5 of 14 (14,685 Views)

Re: Please interpret the nonstop blinking

A further question if I might - how do I determine if my PC remains under manufacturer warranty? I am the original owner but did not retain receipts etc - though I could probably find the credit card records for the retail transaction. 

With regard to the above, I performed the hard reset procedure several times without success. Approximately an hour later, I powered the PC and it ran normally. Is the earlier experience an indicator of impending and permanent failure? 

Honor Student
jovsar
Message 6 of 14 (14,601 Views)

Same issue with my tx2z and my warranty, as per HP representative, expired less than a month ago. Following the list, my issue has to do with the CPU. HP would repair the laptop for about $400 dollars. What a ripoff, I have been a customer for this company for many years and costumer service won't even give a number of someone in the US who could help. For $400, I am rather invest that much on a Lenovo. HP's customer service is really unhelpful and rude. Sorry for HP, I almost made the mistake of ordering a second tablet for my company. I still confuse about how the CPU can failed in about a year from purchase. Should this laptop be recalled???  

Student
kmanjeri
Message 7 of 14 (13,196 Views)

I ran into the same problem. I have tried removing battery and removing power supply but couldnt recover it. Can someone tell me what is the solution and why this occurs. I understand $400 for a $650 laptop is a sure way to drive customers to competitors!!

Student
Logansmommy
Message 8 of 14 (11,391 Views)

My Laptop is doing the same thing in a way. It will not turn on and when it does it automatically pops uo with Stop: error codes. I cannot even get into the log in page or anything else. I have no Cd. It is a Vista Touchsmart Tx2. I can not get into the internet with it at all either and have to use another computer. Help me. I have nothing on my computer except the basics and it was preowned. Please help!

Student
hcooten
Message 9 of 14 (10,776 Views)

Has anyone found a solution for this?  I have the exact problem on an HP dv7 with no luck on finding a solution for this so far.

Honor Student
DavisRussia
Message 10 of 14 (10,771 Views)

Hi,

"CPU CPU not functional ON ON Blink = 1 OFF"

What it measn?

Which is the solution? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation