Question
tx2500 tablet CPU failure - reseated CPU, BIOS reset needed?
Replies (27)

Student
boltstop
Message 11 of 28 (4,065 Views)

Re: tx2500 tablet CPU failure - reseated CPU, BIOS reset needed?

Hi I Had The Exact Same Problem Screen Would Flash On Startup Then Problems Loaded Ubuntu Operating System And Everything Works Fine Been Using It For A While Now With No Problems

I Had Ubuntu On Another Laptop And Wanted To Test If I Could Just Swap The Hard Drives And See What Hapened And It Just Worked Been Working Fine Ever Since I Dont Have A Live CD At The Moment But That Should Work As Well

I Prefer Using Ubuntu To Loosing A Laptop Pc Let Me Know If That Wooks For Anybody Else Thanks

Intern
S_Rouault
Message 12 of 28 (4,040 Views)

This is the same issue that everyone else is having. Sometimes It's intermittent (because the solder connection between the GPU and the motherboard is still somewhat intact) and will cause people to believe it might be software related, but it isn't. 

People have been fixing this by blowdrying into the vent which heats up the solder and causes it to 'reflow' and create a connection with the motherboard again. The problem with this method is that to properly reflow solder it must reach a certian temperature at a certian rate and it must also cool at a certian rate to work properly.

There is a guy in NY(avonpcpitstop dot com) that has an infared light machine that does the heating proerly for a reflow, and he will do it for 70 dollars with a warranty. He also has a reballing service for 100 something... that might be an option for some people.

I'm going to buy one of the 'shims' he makes to prevent this from happening to my tx2 again. I'll probably strip the black paint from the heatsink just for measure. It would be nice if HP would step up to take responsibility. I'm supposed to hear back frorm them this week.... hopefully. You guys should all call HP support and complain about this. Reference this forum and tell them you want this issue 'escalated'. Make sure the tech inculdes this forum in the notes.

Tutor
javos
Message 13 of 28 (4,019 Views)

[ Edited ]

There is a lot of info about this problem and the possible solution in this thread:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TX-TM-Series-Notebooks/TX2500-Dead-after-18-Monts/td-p/237548/page/3

and in the youtube video I mention in my post somewhere here above.

A heatgun is cheap and precise. It worked for me and my notebook is still running!! It takes some time and patience though to take the whole thing apart and to put it together again, but it's fun - and what's the risk if it's not working and your beyond guarantee (and don't live in NY).

Intern
S_Rouault
Message 14 of 28 (3,950 Views)

I responding to these threads to push them to the top. I wonder how many other ones there are on just this site..

Top Student
wtftop
Message 15 of 28 (3,904 Views)

count me in: TX2510US. bought: September 2008.  blank screen... flashing LEDs. will try one of the easy fix methods in youtube. hope it works and goes fine for one more year, that will suffice...

Top Student
hrimhari
Message 16 of 28 (3,534 Views)

Another one here. tx2508ca

Since I've been trying a new aftermarket battery with strange behavior, I though the shut offs I got on the plane were due to the battery.

I'll keep you posted. It's a shame HP won't acknowledge the problem. Maybe I should try Lenovo next time.

Honor Student
nikhiljo
Message 17 of 28 (3,508 Views)

Another one here. I pretty much know the solution to this from this forum, but just want to add to the growing list of customers with this issue. Goddamit HP, fix it, and take responsibility!

Student
naveen92
Message 18 of 28 (3,416 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue on my TX2500. The laptop just stopped working a few days aback with the blinking led lights (once every 4 seconds). I paid about $1200 for it about 2 yrs back and I'm really mad that this is happening to so many people. Is there something we can do about this. {Content Removed: legal discussion}

Top Student
hrimhari
Message 19 of 28 (3,408 Views)

Come up with a class action which covers Canada and I'll join.

Honor Student
nikhiljo
Message 20 of 28 (3,404 Views)

Nice censorship, HP! Real classy.  There was a lasuit, petitioners won.  Unfortunatley, time to jump on that bandwagon is long gone. HP owners weren't notified of this recall or lawsuit, as if we were supposed to be on the lookout for a lawsuit, just in case our $1200 laptop fails.

All you can do now is get it repaired.  There are some computer repair places that will repair the GPU by either reballing or reflowing process, depending on what exactly has gone wrong. I sent mine to The PC Pitstop in Avon, NY.  I haven't gotten it back yet, but I am optimistic.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation