Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

OK, so I've got Android "Ice Cream Sandwich" installed and working great on my TouchPad. But why? Because I Could? Just looked at every app on my Android phone, and I don't need amy of them on my Touchpad.

Post relates to: HP TouchPad (WiFi)

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I think you've answered your "question" already!  :smileywink:

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

I'm not really familiar with Android, but I know there are app stores for Android phones. Are you able to download apps using the Touchpad, or do you have to use a "homebrew" solution?

HP Recommended
Is this a question or just something you did?

BTW: have ICS on my TouchPad for some days now and it's awesome :smileyhappy:
Hope webOS continues to get updates otherwise it will permanently be replaced by Android.
HP Recommended
can you post a link for the ice cream sandwich please?
HP Recommended

This is not the forum to discuss Android on the TouchPad.  It is an unsupported software. See XDA Developers for all your Android needs: http://www.xda-developers.com/

HP Recommended

I have "floated" this thread because of the upcoming demise of Cloud Services for webOS devices.   In addition, I am not able to get either of my Google accounts to sync with the webOS side of any of my TouchPads any longer, even with the Google patch installed.  No calendar, no contacts, no gmail for me on my webOS TouchPads :Crying:

If you own a TouchPad, and would like for it to be more than just a curiosity after January 15, you would do well to install Android on it.  Now.

There are various versions of Android out there for the TouchPad.  Just two days ago, I found a third (!) NIB TouchPad in a drawer, and installed CM11 - Android 4.4.4 (KitKat) onto it.  Works beautifully, and I still really like the TouchPad's hardware compared with the several Android tablets I have.  The process of installing onto the TouchPad lets you boot either into Android or webOS.  This is the site I used for reference, and I downloaded the new "TouchPad Toolbox" to do the install.

The process took several attempts, and the instructions on the linked site are, shall we say, less than idiot-proof for those who don't know they're doing.  But stick with it, watch the videos, and look for the link to JCSullins' TouchPad thread where he discusses the files you need to copy to the TouchPad and where to put them.

There are some apps on the webOS side of my TouchPads which I still enjoy using, and for which I don't find a suitable equivalent on the Android side, so my TouchPads are still useful to me.  But that's what happened to Palm fans as well...and while lots of us still use our Palm devices, we have moved on to other platforms for current functionality and productivity.  The magic of the TouchPad is that it lets you do that with Android while preserving the webOS platform for some things you might still like.

The linked site also provides the option with the new TouchPad Toolbox, to install Android and remove webOS altogether from the TouchPad.  The bottom line for me was that the webOS side of the device does not take up all that much space which you could reclaim by deleting it.  And I still like webOS, so I kept it on this and my other TPs.

Merry Christmas.

_____
Former HP Expert (Palm/webOS)
HP Recommended
my palm pre2 cant do anything after restarting it. its just writting sign in on the screen. how can i do this?
HP Recommended

Hello,

Attempts to run versions of Android on the Pre2 have proven very buggy and not really usable.

If you are actually asking how to get past the activation screen and use webOS again, there is an article here:

http://www.webosnation.com/bypass-activation-webos-2-x

Some of it no longer applies due to the HP shutdown. Your phone should work with a previously activated SIM card.

You don't say if you backed up your phone prior to a deliberate reset. If you have no back ups, then the data in your Palm profile has gone and I'm afraid you must start from scratch. If you were using other cloud services like Google, then it is simply a matter of reconnecting to those services. There are still some apps available and fixes to keep most of the services running, though some are broken and are likely to remain so.

Here is a guide to setting up:

http://pivotce.com/2014/10/21/guide-coming-back-to-webos-in-2014-part-1/

Some tips on manual back up:

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-tips-info-resources/329239-your-big-back-up-restore-thread-2015-...

Search webpage for the main app catalogue:

http://preware.pivotce.com

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.