Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I would like to inform you that you can upgrade your CPU and install the A8-3850 with a 100W TDP.

This motherboard supports that CPU so you can go ahead and install it, I have double check this information.

I hope this clarfies now your topic and you can close this one! If you have any questions, please come back to me.

THanks,

Hugo M. Lemos
HP Recommended

@SomelOguh wrote:

Hello,

I would like to inform you that you can upgrade your CPU and install the A8-3850 with a 100W TDP.

This motherboard supports that CPU so you can go ahead and install it, I have double check this information.

I hope this clarfies now your topic and you can close this one! If you have any questions, please come back to me.

THanks,

And yet the specifications page says it can only handle a 65W upgrade. Who is lying: you or the specifications page?

Will someone PLEASE tell the truth?

HP Recommended

Hello,

You can trust me and you can update the CPU with the one I have told you already.

No one is lying here, problem here is that the TDP information that you are refering too, should not be there, apparently its a mistake on the page.

The table on the product specification is correct, so you can use the A8-3850 with a 100W TDP.

Hope this clarifies it for you.

THanks,

Hugo M. Lemos
HP Recommended

I have been reading this post because I had the same questions. HP documentation is confusing, but I decided to take a chance. I up graded the AMD A4-3200 dual core CPU (65W) with an AMD A8-350 quad core (100W). Installing the CPU was not difficult. I decided to use Artic Silver 5 for the thermal glue. After installation the system booted into safe mode, Windows Update started, scanned the system, and installed the correct graphics driver. The system is working better than before. I have a total of three monitors attached to the system and there were no hesitations while playing three You Tube videos on three of the monitors and browsing yahoo on the fourth. I will be glad to provide additional details, if needed.   

HP Recommended

@dopoganger wrote:

I have been reading this post because I had the same questions. HP documentation is confusing, but I decided to take a chance. I up graded the AMD A4-3200 dual core CPU (65W) with an AMD A8-350 quad core (100W). Installing the CPU was not difficult. I decided to use Artic Silver 5 for the thermal glue. After installation the system booted into safe mode, Windows Update started, scanned the system, and installed the correct graphics driver. The system is working better than before. I have a total of three monitors attached to the system and there were no hesitations while playing three You Tube videos on three of the monitors and browsing yahoo on the fourth. I will be glad to provide additional details, if needed.   

Please elaborate and give details! Also (unrelated) how are you connecting 3 monitors?

HP Recommended

I have a touch Smart Model 320-1030. The original processor was an AMD A4-3400 upgraded to and AMD A8-3850 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.90 GHz. I am running Windows 7 64-bit. I upgraded the RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB previously but that increased performance only marginally. My goal was to increase overall system performance and gain better graphics performance. The APU upgrade achieved both. I am not a gamer but I regularly run multiple window programs, Outlook, IE9, Firefox along with several network and system monitors.

The physical installation was straightforward as described in my original post. Upon boot the system spent about 20 minutes digesting the APU upgrade and Windows Update installed the new drivers. I did not have to modify the bios. The system has been running for the past several days with no problems.  

The additional three monitors are each attached via a 2.0 USB port, each using EVGA USB VGA adapters. I have been using these adapters for several years and I recommend them.

I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Did I answer your questions and is your topic resolved?

Thanks,

Hugo M. Lemos
HP Recommended

Hello,

Is this topic resolved? Did I answer your topic and is this one closed?

THanks,

Hugo M. Lemos
HP Recommended

Hello, I just found this forum. I did exactly what Dop... did with his computer. I Have the same HP TouchSmart 320-1030 desktop. I upgraded to 8GB of ram. I also bought that AMD A8-3850 chip, but in my case it did not work. When I start up the computer I get three beeps and then a pause. Three beeps again and the a black screen with white words stating the new processor I installed with the specifics and then at the bottom it read:

Error: Unsupported CPU installed.

Pc will automatically power down. in a few seconds.

So my motherboard detected it, but I think there is  a BIOS issue. What should I do?

Can you help me SOMElOguh?

HP Recommended

Hello,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but was not in the office and even after returning was quiet busy, but I just saw your post now.

Let me check this and will get back to you soon.

Thanks,

Hugo M. Lemos
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.