Question

Student
Disappointed
Message 1 of 6 (4,364 Views)

Can't get past Welcome Page

I have just purchased a Touchsmart. It worked well for a couple days, but now it boots up to the Windows log in , accepts my password, but the sits with the Welcome page with the little circle circling forever (overnight). All manner of Diagnosistics, system restore, Safe mode, have no effect.

Help !!!

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 6 (4,403 Views)

Re: Can't get past Welcome Page

Do a system recovery to make sure it isn't software. F11 at startup and follow the screens.

If it still acts up after that - return or call HP. Make sure your network is secure and you are not getting a virus. Most viruses these days corrupt system restore or nest themselves in it so that after you restore, you will still have the virus.

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Teacher
JonathanL
Message 3 of 6 (4,343 Views)

Can you get into Windows  all the way if you go via safe mode? If so, see if you can create a new user account and then see if you can login.

I'm a hp Software Engineer, working to improve the user experience!
This post is of my opinion and not of HP's.
Intern
asteriz99
Message 4 of 6 (4,285 Views)

absolutly right....:smileyhappy:

> if those two steps will not work

perform Hard disk self test

-boot to BIOS > diagnostic > HDD test

-an HP tech support want to gain more friends and additional knowledge in forum

:smileyhappy:

:smileyhappy:
Student
virus
Message 5 of 6 (4,081 Views)

I have been trying along with Trend Micro support to get rid of this thing however it has just became worse.

It has redirected all of my internet searches to what seems like commissioned search pay per click sites.

Now it rests on a download redirected site to upgrade internet explorer 7.

I am sure it is only a dummy or commissioned site.

My downloads have been basically... stopped.

I have received No updates from any anti virus protection, windows etc., since November 10 when I was dumb enough to fall for the time bomb.

My error was to click in a link for an alleged Anti Virus Pro 2009 -- There, my hell began.

Are there any pros, That knows?

THanks, Dave

Teacher
JonathanL
Message 6 of 6 (4,047 Views)

Seems like you got a nasty case of malware/spyware. If you can, boot into safemode, then run these apps (download the setup files from another computer and put them on an USB key):

I've been able to use these 3 apps to recover computers that have been messed up by spyware/malware.

If you are able to recover afterwards I recommend updating your AV (or buying one if you haven't yet) and continue to use the first 2 apps in that list (the 3rd one is not a full antivirus replacement).

I'm a hp Software Engineer, working to improve the user experience!
This post is of my opinion and not of HP's.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation