Question

Tutor
iwasfloyd
Message 1 of 10 (9,393 Views)

Computer just turned off and now won't turn back on!!

I have an IQ770 Touchsmart and while I was out of the room, it turned itself off.  Now it won't even turn back on!!!  I've unplugged and replugged and it won't do anything.  What could have caused it?  There was no power interruption, it's plugged into a power surge protector, my other desktop is working fine.  I've been working on it all day, and now it's dead!  What do I do?  Can anyone help me?

Thanks!!!

PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 2 of 10 (9,386 Views)

Re: Computer just turned off and now won't turn back on!!

Unplug the power, press and hold the power button for 15 sec, then plug it back in and turn it on.

Tutor
iwasfloyd
Message 3 of 10 (9,380 Views)

That didn't work!  What else can I try?

Thanks!!

PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 4 of 10 (9,349 Views)

Try unplugging the power cord, remove the cover to the motherboard, remove the CMOS battery, hold the power button for 30 sec, put the battery back, plug back the power cord and then try turning on the unit.

Tutor
iwasfloyd
Message 5 of 10 (9,341 Views)

Ok, what does the battery look like?

Thanks

Tutor
iwasfloyd
Message 6 of 10 (9,323 Views)

Is the motherboard in the slant back or the flat back?  What does the battery look like?  Thanks for your help so far!

Tutor
iwasfloyd
Message 7 of 10 (9,319 Views)

Ok did that, nothing.  When I plug it into the back of the computer, the light comes on for half a second, while the cord is just barely attached.  When it's firmly in, no light.  What does that mean?

Tutor
iwasfloyd
Message 8 of 10 (9,317 Views)

Although I couldn't get the battery out.  How do I do that?  I did what it said to clear the cmos, but still nothing.

Tutor
iwasfloyd
Message 9 of 10 (9,303 Views)

Additionally, could it be my power supply unit?  Might I need a new one and a new cmos battery?  Is that possible?

Tutor
iwasfloyd
Message 10 of 10 (9,178 Views)

Ok, I've tried to plug it back in, and when the plug reaches a certain point, it pops sorta.  Which tells me that it's the psu unit that's gone.  This puter is only 2 years old.  I've already had to send it in for a complete hard disk die, now this.  It's a Touchsmart IQ770.  Yes, made the mistake of getting one of the first ones.  Not only that, it's Vista all the way.  So, this computer is screwed both ways all the way.  When it works, it's wonderful, but since it only works half the time, it's definitely not worth the money, time, headaches or worry that it entails to have.  It's an expensive piece of @#*(!!!!)  I do want to thank the people who tried to help me, sorta.  Just put this into the next inquiry of the IQ770, It sucks!!!!  Big green donkey dicks!!!  Vista made it worse!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation