Question

Tutor
johnv
Message 1 of 20 (30,144 Views)
Accepted Solution

Connect to TV using HDMI to HDMI connection

I am trying to connect my HP Touchsmart 600 (Win 7 oem) to my Samsung 850 HDTV using the HDMI connections. Both devices (PC & TV) do not even recognize each other. Don't know how to proceed. Any thoughts out there. I though it would be s simple cable connection and go.

Master's Graduate
JimT
Message 2 of 20 (30,136 Views)

Re: Connect to TV using HDMI to HDMI connection

[ Edited ]

i might be wrong, but the hdmi is hdmi-in only. i guess hp decided that dual monitor should not be an option for these models. so you should be able to hook up a ps3 or xbox or external dvd/br player.

http://www.chipchick.com/2009/10/hp-touchsmart-600.html

" the TouchSmart 600 in particular is going to be lusted after by gamers. That is because the TouchSmart 600 has HDMI and Composite Video inputs that let you connect a Xbox, PS2 or Wii in to it so that you can use it as a display for your video game console."

HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
Tutor
johnv
Message 3 of 20 (30,120 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case.

The support folks in the lab from HP phone support told me that was not the case. They actually had the same model as mine hooked up to a hdtv and it was working.

Tutor
johnv
Message 4 of 20 (30,085 Views)

I have confirmed that it will work with an input device. I connected my dvd player to my ts 600 and it worked well with the hdmi connection. it appears its hdmi-in only and the support folks were incorrect. we'll see.

Tutor
johnv
Message 5 of 20 (30,106 Views)

The hdmi graphic port in INPUT only based on a return call from HP support. This is disappointing due to I had two people from hp tell me that it was hdmi output.

Master's Graduate
JimT
Message 6 of 20 (30,166 Views)

johnv wrote:

I have confirmed that it will work with an input device. I connected my dvd player to my ts 600 and it worked well with the hdmi connection. it appears its hdmi-in only and the support folks were incorrect. we'll see.

I thought that would be the case, but couldn't be 100% sure - i do recall reading up on one of the touchsmart 600 HP specifications that the hdmi is in only but seems like its either been removed from the specifications web page or i can't find the exact model where it was mentioned, i'm sure i was looking up the 600-1070a, but does not mention it anymore, instead it mentions this - and frankly I have no idea what that mean (LVDS and DVI???)....

Video Graphics
nVidia GeForce GT 230
  • 1 GB memory
  • I/O Ports: None on module. Supports LVDS (Low Voltage Differential Signaling) and DVI on TouchSmart 600 Series PCs.

again i read it somewhere where it did say hdmi-in only but can't find it anymore except for that url from my first post.

HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
Master's Graduate
JimT
Message 7 of 20 (30,162 Views)

ok i found it - its in the setup (2) guide... its clearly says "HDMI input"

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01867251.pdf

Honor Student
iluvspd
Message 8 of 20 (30,034 Views)

Great! I called HP Sales and ordered a 600XT based on the fact ( They stated!!!!! )  it WOULD output HDMI. Imagine how happy I am now after mounting this unit, 4 plasmas and a HDMI amp/splitter in our company lunchroom :smileysurprised:  

thats BS ... and we usually buy Dells...... should have known. 

Tutor
johnv
Message 9 of 20 (29,977 Views)

yep. good thing i tested my cables prior to getting them roughed inside my walls.

right now im looking at external device solutions (usb to hdmi).

Feelin your pain....

This was also a design decision from HP as you cannot modify or upgrade the emdedded video card from NVDIA. I talked to them too.

Master's Graduate
JimT
Message 10 of 20 (29,967 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi John,

I hope the USB to HDMI works with touxhsmart - there was an old forum post who tried USB to VGA/DVI on iq800 and they expereinced some trouble with it - something to do with the mouse unable to escape from one of the displays, then again I tried searching and couldn't find it - could have been a problem with the driver of the USB to VGA...

Which USB to HDMI do you have?  Let us know how you go...

Jim

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation