Question

Honor Student
Bobbo1111
Message 1 of 23 (9,526 Views)

DVD's not recognized on HP TouchSmart 600

I have an HP TouchSmart600 which will not recognize DVD's at all.  I initially discovered this when trying to install MSOffice2010 and it would not work - I extracted it onto a hard drive to install it that way but movies etc. will not work.

Anyone seen this issue on the TouchSmart?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 23 (9,523 Views)

Re: DVD's not recognized on HP TouchSmart 600

Hi,

First, try the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below.

Windows 7

Vista

Check if the drive is now working.

If the drive is not working, from the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.

Reboot the PC and let Windows reinstall the devices.  Check the drive again.

If it still isn't working, run the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below again.

Windows 7

Vista

Next, from the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When the device has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for Hardware Changes' icon ( usually just below Help on the toolbar ).  Let windows reinstall the drive and see if it now works.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
jjbgames
Message 3 of 23 (8,788 Views)

Mine doesn't recognize movies either!  HP has an issue they haven't addressed yet.

Teacher
Jonathan_N
Message 4 of 23 (8,778 Views)

Clear the upper and lower registry filters

Unplug all non-essential external plug and play devices, especially cameras.

Click Start , and type "regedit " into the Start Search field. The registry editor window appears.

Select Computer in the main window.

Click File , Export , type a filename that is easy for you to remember, and click Save .

A copy of the registry has saved for back-up purposes to the Documents folder.

If problems occur after using these steps, browse to the file and double-click it to restore the registry.

Click the plus sign (+ ) next to the following items in the list:

-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

-SYSTEM

-CurrentControlSet

-Control

-Class

Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 . Make sure you have selected this exact key name.

Select the LowerFilters value and press the Delete key. Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes.

If an UpperFilters value is also listed, select UpperFilters in the right window and press the Delete key. Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes .

Delete all other UpperFilter and LowerFilter values within the 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 key if they exist.

Close the registry editor and restart the computer.

Jonathan
Top Student
jjbgames
Message 5 of 23 (8,762 Views)

I had an Upperfilter but not a lowerfilter.  I deleted it and restarted but I get the same results. 

Any other ideas?  Thanks for your help!

Top Student
MoFreckles
Message 6 of 23 (8,526 Views)

Having the same problem - HP TouchSmart 600 !!!

I have had this issue for a couple of years - HP came & swapped the drive for a new one and still have the problem.......from what I am seeing - nothing has been done to rectify the problem.  I am actually waiting for HP to call me back today !!!  Tech had to go do research :smileysad: 

Hope something gets found soon - horrible not to be able to install software.

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 7 of 23 (8,515 Views)

Hello jjbgames:

Don't worry champ. Hp did not include the codes to open DVD's movies. How nice of them and on top of it all Hp mediasmart software automatically blocks out other media players codes as well.http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/update/v2/update.jsp?fileTypeId=1&PRODUCTNAME=TouchSmart&PRODUCTVERSIO...__  How nice of them to charge $99.95 just for an update ounce you pay this and download it you will be able to open and watch any type of movies. Hp loves loosing their costomers. I already downloaded other media players with codes and HP software blocks it. Long as your cd/dvd drive can read files nothing is wrong with it. frrw

Top Student
MoFreckles
Message 8 of 23 (8,506 Views)

Well shocking update - HP did not call back yesterday---girrrrrr.

I called them today gave the case # and the tech that answered the call dared to test me & firmly request A L L of my info again ~ what is the case # for?!!!! ~ then wants to repeat troubleshoot - I don't think so!!!!!!   Dude hung up on me after I blasted him a few choice phrases & facts demanding a supervisor.   Later the rep from yesterday called me stating HIS embarrassment and he was escalating my problem to upper team in THE UNITED STATES - apparently he investigated nothing.   The team expected to call 24-48 hrs and I was told to advise them to send me a new computer!!  Talk about a quck fix?!!!!!!!!

So, I just read the reply on the codes - what is wrong with HP????? ...... dopes!

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 9 of 23 (8,488 Views)

Hi MoFreckles:

So whats the end results? Least you got a Technician that could speak English thats a pluss I think. They just don't care anymore. Sorry but true poor management would be my guess. Are they going to send you a new computer with the same problem again? You still won't be able to watch old DVD's or any thing with different codes. Let me know how you make out? I my self bought another used computer with older version windows on with a media dvd player that has all codes already. Sony 22" VGC-LT20 series.  Why didn't they  tell you just have to buy the update? Ounce I figure out how to transrer files from one computer to another. I be all set then on my Touchsmart. They always say we will call you back seldom ever do. frrw I well be back to read your out come.

Top Student
MoFreckles
Message 10 of 23 (8,481 Views)

Hi Frrw:

Your timing is hysterical - I just got off the phone w/ HP - I have the shakes.  Note the English was NOT GOOD!! ... but the dept they escalated to is in the US and they are just as bad - worse actually!!! .... They will not approve to replace the computer - yet shocking again!   The wonderful escalation department gave me 2 options (note I purchased on-site support - knowing I could not afford to send my computer out):  1) send my computer to HP for them to check diagnostics (joke option)     2) send drive to me w/ appt for on site tech to install the drive  (joke option #2) .....the on-site tech does not run diagnostics - so basically they are sending somone with a screwdriver.  I can change the drive myself so it is ridiculous!  The last tech they send could not figure out how to take the back cover off (Yes, I am very serious).

They are going to send a new DVD drive for tomorrow delivery and on-site tech coming monday.  They are in voiation of my support plan!!!.    They have no interest is knowing there is an programming/engineering issue to be resolved.                 So I have warned them that I am going to play their game and call them daily until they resolve it .... I will have drives shipped everyday - and a tech out every day.

Sorry - wish I had more to report.   (PS tried  the regedit recommendation and did nothing).  I am going to pursue the support violation while I am at it.  I also have a new HP printer in a box under my desk that I have not had the chance to install and now have the joy of returning it and put my $$ elsewhere.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation