Question

Top Student
Jderu
Message 1 of 14 (345 Views)
Accepted Solution

Downloads from the internet just keeps on freezing up.

Hi, I have anHp TouchSmart 610-1180qd CTO Desktop PC and I've only had it for almost 3 weeks now.. 

I don't know what is wrong but everytime I download a file 100 mb or more from the internet it just freezes up at some point though it starts normally. Browsing web pages seems to be fine. I don't get disconnected to the internet while downloading, it's just the download freezing up at some point while downloading. I've only noticed this problem almost a week after getting the PC. I have not made any big changes with the computer as far as i can tell.

Only changes I've made so far are..

-Installing updates from microsoft

-Uninstalling norton products that came with the computer

-Installed Microsoft security essentials, firefox, dropbox, google chrome, filezilla client, foobar, fastone maxview, peerblock, teracopy, spywareblaster, ccleaner, mirc, networx, and winrar.

My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and connected to the internet using the PC's Broadcom wireless adapter. My router is an Asus RT-N16 with DD-wrt firmware installed and my isp is comcast.

I don't know why this is the only PC at home connected wirelessly that does this. I have an HP pavilion dv8t connected wirelessly and I have no problems or whatsoever downloading from that laptop.

It's just this new Touchsmart PC that has this issue.

I hope someone in here can somehow solve my problem cause It is really giving me a headache. I've searched the internet but none has solved my problem and I just don't know what to do anymore. I registered in here and made this post in hopes that somehow someone can solve this issue for me. I would really really appreciate any help.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 14 (341 Views)

Re: Downloads from the internet just keeps on freezing up.

Hi,

If you uninstalled Norton using its own uninstall routine, try downloading and running the relevant Norton Removal Tool on the link below.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=20080710133834EN&lg=engl...

After this has completed, restart the PC and see if this has helped at all.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Jderu
Message 3 of 14 (333 Views)

Hi DavidPK,

Thanks for the response, I downloaded and tried running the Norton Removal tool like you said but unfortunately it didn't help at all.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 14 (330 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Shutdown the PC. Tap away at f8 as you start up to access Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select 'Safe Mode with Networking' and hit enter.  Let windows fully load in this mode and see if you can now access the internet - only choose a known 'safe site' such a Microsoft or HP as your security software will not be running while in this mode.  To exit Safe Mode, simply restart the notebook in the usual way and Windows will start normally.

Let me know the result.

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
Jderu
Message 5 of 14 (322 Views)

Hi,

I will try that but I just wanna ask what's the point in testing my internet connection in safe mode when it works in normal mode? The problem I'm having here is that downloading something off the internet from the touchsmart pc ends freezing or just stops downloading at some point while downloading.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 14 (318 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I should have said to try downloading a file.

Have you tried downloading a file in Safe Mode?

The point is to see if another process is interfering with your attempts to download a file and running in Safe Mode minimizes the number of processes running.

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
Jderu
Message 7 of 14 (304 Views)

Hi,

I tried running the machine in safe mode with networking like you said and downloading worked fine.

I tried downloading files off microsoft and hp and I downloaded a bunch of files which are mostly 50mb+ from microsoft and some 100+ mb video card drivers from hp. I tried downloading files at the same time and all of them finished succesfully and no sudden freeze in the downloads.

Well, If something is really interfering with my attempts to download I wonder what it is? cause I even did something like dual booting the pc with a clean install of windows 7 and only installed Nod 32 antivirus, the graphics card driver for nvidia, the  broadcom wlan driver and all the updates from microsoft  and the same thing happens with downloading.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 8 of 14 (302 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Try the following experiment and let me know what happens.

Download the free version of Avast Antivirus and save the installer to your Downloads folder.

Next, uninstall your current installation of Nod 32 Antivirus and when this has completed, restart the PC.

Install the free version of Avast you downloaded and again, when the installation has completed, restart the PC.

Are you able to download files correctly now or does the same issue still occur?

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
Jderu
Message 9 of 14 (283 Views)

Hi,

I tried what you said and the same thing still happens. 

Provost
DavidPK
Message 10 of 14 (271 Views)

Hi,

Start the notebook and let Windows fully load.  Hold down the Windows key and press R.  In to the Run box type msconfig and hit enter.  In the following window, click the Start up tab, remove the tick next to each start up item and then click Apply to make the change.  Reboot the notebook and see if it will now download files correctly.  If it does, re-enable one start up item at a time, click Apply and reboot to check if it still downloads ok.  Keep doing this until you encounter the problem and you will know the last program you set to start is causing the download issue.

Regards,

DP-K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation