Question

Honor Student
RetamaRobert
Message 1 of 7 (776 Views)

External USB antenna on Smart Touch

Just replaced our laptop with a Smart Touch 610-1050Y. Both have an internal WiFi antenna.  When I install our external USB antenna on the laptop, I disconnect the laptop's internal WiFi antenna with a switch. Is there a way to disconnect the Smart Touch's internal antenna with a switch or with software? The so-called manuals lack any useful info. We are full time RVers and depend on less than perfect RV Park WiFi systems.

Also, on the back of the PC/monitor BELOW where the power, CATV cable, speakers, IR blaster and  4 of the USB ports are located, is what looks like a 5th USB port with something installed in it. Does any one know what this device is?

Thanks

PhD Student
dianebrat
Message 2 of 7 (768 Views)

Re: External USB antenna on Smart Touch

The "extra" USB device is the wireless keyboard and mouse receiver.

I've never heard of being able to turn the antenna on and off for a laptop, are you sure that you're not turning the wifi network card on and off and the USB "antenna" is a USB wireless adapter? If so you can disable the internal wifi adapter in device manager just like you would on any other Win7 machine.

Honor Student
RetamaRobert
Message 3 of 7 (760 Views)

Teacher:

Thank you for your response. The HP laptop had a switch to disable the internal WiFi antenna so I could plug in an external antenna. I am looking at the Smart Touch Device Manager under Network Adapters. Five devices are listed. 1 and 2 are Bluetooth. 3 is Broadcom WLAN Adapter. 4 is Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter. 5 is Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. Clicking on #4 the WiFi Miniport Adapter does not reveal a way to disable it.

Bob

PhD Student
dianebrat
Message 4 of 7 (758 Views)

Broadcomm WLAN adapter is the wifi/wireless device, that's the one you want to disable.

As I said, you can't "disable the antenna" you disable the device, I really think you're mistaken in what your USB device is, it sounds a lot like an external USB wireless adapter, not a "USB Antenna" can you post the part number/model of this device?

Honor Student
RetamaRobert
Message 5 of 7 (752 Views)

Re: External USB antenna on Smart Touch WiFi Antenna Link

PhD Student
dianebrat
Message 6 of 7 (748 Views)

"Your computer does not need to have an internal WiFi card or antenna!"

Exactly what I said, despite the name, it is NOT an antenna, it is an external USB wifi adapter.

You're not "turning off the internal antenna" you are turning off the internal wifi adapter

Student
hellocorky
Message 7 of 7 (559 Views)

I am looking at the same antenna from Crane, and also notice that it said you should disable your internal antenna before using their antenna. I also want to use the device to boost the free, open signal from the RV park. If you find the answer, please let me know. I have an HP Compaq laptop running Vista, and can't find any information about the internal antenna.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation