Question

Student
shotlivermutton
Message 1 of 3 (632 Views)

Failed bios update

So I borked my bios.  I was installing the latest bios update on my touchsmart tm2 and the update program simply quit.  After restarting I get a blank screen with randomly flashing lights and a fan that sits at 100% speed and haven't been able to recover.  From my research the fix for this kind of issue is normally to hit windows + B as you start the computer, then it will read a previous version of the bios from the hp recovery partition.  However I'm one of those people that "cleaned" out the hp stuff from my computer by installing a non-hp version of Windows 7, which eliminated the recovery partition.  

I've also tried pulling the cmos battery/main battery and draining the mobo of power for 30 mins.  And I've tried the "hard reset" procedure.  All no dice.

Before I send this off to HP and pay the out of warranty repair costs, I had one more idea I'd like advice on.  I was wondering if I could use the recovery dvd to create a recovery partition on the laptop's drive using another computer (via external encloser), then use that to recover a working bios.  Before I waste time waiting for the dvd to arrive I need to know:

1. Will a recovery disc for a touchsmart tm2 let me create a recovery partition using another computer?

2. Does a fresh recovery partition even contain a bios recovery or is that only created when the bios update istriggered?

3. Are there any services out there that will repair my bios for less than $350?

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 3 (629 Views)

Re: Failed bios update

Shotlivermutton, welcome to the forum.

I wish that I had better news, but there is no easy way to retrieve the BIOS.  At this point, you basically have a door stop.  There are Internet companies who can flash a BIOS for you, but you have to be able to remove the BIOS chip.  This may not be possible if HP solders the BIOS chip to the motherboard.  Doing a System Recovery won't solve your problem.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 3 (620 Views)

Re: Failed bios update

A fresh and clean Recovery will not have anything BIOS related.

The BIOS backup you made (or skipped) was only made as part of the BIOS update you did.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation