Question

Top Student
The-Sicilian
Message 1 of 13 (334 Views)

Ghost tappings on my screen

My rig= HP touchsmart 610. for months now, it appears that a ghost is tapping the screen at random points, the cursor moves to that spot, if my browser is open, lets say for email, all the font increases much larger, pages disappear on occassions. If I was posting something somewhere, THAT usually disappears and I have to navigate back to the posting page. It keeps happening as im posting this, the cursor moves off this body, and I have to click back in here to continue writing. im a hunt and peck person, so if i happen to be looking up at the screen when it happens, I can SEE a spot on the screen where it appears to have been physically touched and it does that "starburst" thing if you know what I mean.

I also get pop ups when in yahoo mail, but ive come to the conclusion thats its this random ghost touch thing that is basically "clicking" on all those side ads that yahoo mail has. ANNOYING!!!! SERIOUS HELP, needed!

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 13 (302 Views)

Re: Ghost tappings on my screen

[ Edited ]

The-Sicilian, welcome to the forum.

Which of these models in yours?

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 13 (291 Views)

[ Edited ]

None of those models are correct, I have an HP Touchsmart 610-its in the post. i5 2400 3.10GHz 64 Bit.

It appears the ghost tap happens in the exact MIDDLE of the screen, and whatever happens to be there will get "clicked" on. I tried to disable the touch screen to see if that wold stop it from happening, but I cannot figure out how to do that even, theres no help section on that subject.

Provost
old_geekster
Message 4 of 13 (283 Views)

I am sorry for my typing error.  I know your computer is a 610.  Please go to my original post to see which is your model.

HP Split 13 x2

- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++

Message 5 of 13 (273 Views)

Do you want me to try to search out my problem on the HP website?

I'm not exactly sure what youre referring to in your original post, I did click on the blue word that says "model" and it came up with the HP website and a series of different models, then a page that has different specific problems, none of which are even remotely close to my issue?

Is that what you were trying to point me to?

thanks

Provost
old_geekster
Message 6 of 13 (246 Views)

Not at all.  If your model is not on the page, let's move on.

Here is a guide to help you find the model of your computer:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01492484

HP Split 13 x2

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++

Message 7 of 13 (230 Views)

Ok, well, I have posted my model above, but here it is again. If I left any specific detail out, let me know and Ill provide you with it:  HP Touchsmart 610- 1250x- i5 2400 3.10GHz 64 Bit. using W7 home premium. 6GB RAM.

Provost
old_geekster
Message 8 of 13 (216 Views)

Thank you for the additional information.  It is exactly what I needed.

Since you are having so many different problems, I suggest doing a System Recovery.  This will return the computer back to its original configuration.  It will also increase the system performance.  You should do a backup of your personal data before beginning.

Please click the "Thumbs Up+ button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

HP Split 13 x2

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++

Message 9 of 13 (202 Views)

[ Edited ]

This does not solve my problem. It is just a generic "cure all" attempt for helping an unsolved issue/ problem.  I was hoping someone had experience or knowledge/wisdom or even training in computers that could actually SOLVE  this issue or similar issues and could shed some light on what would cause this. I know youre doing your best to help, but anyone could suggest a re-install or recovery, in fact its the generic solution in almost every computers "help" section.

Im just back to trying to figure it out myself or having to pay HP to pretend they fixed it by doing just this action. Which of course I would not do, since it would be asinine to pay them to do what I can easily do, because they are too lazy and ignorant to actually research and solve what the issue is because that would take time and effort and actual caring about solving the actual specific issues and problems with their products.

Thanks for at least reading and addressing my issue Dean, Im just frustrated at the whole computer "process" these days, you might understand what I mean

I do not want to re-install everything, plus i have had no so good luck with backing up on an external HD. You would think it was straight forward, but It caused more issues and wasted too much of my time trying to NOW figure out the back up issues.

Retired
eric-g
Message 10 of 13 (163 Views)

The-Sicilian,

Thank you for your participation in the HP community. Please be courteous to everyone within the HP Support Forum. I saw your post and forwarded it to the right people for their review. You should hear back from someone shortly via private message on the Forum.

Regards,
eric-g

I no longer work for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation