Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've been using a HP Envy Recline 23 beats audio edition since January this year, which has been Windows 8.1 all along. I have an Xbox connected through the HDMI in port at the left part of the monitor and it's been working fine all along until recently. Now when I press the HDMI button at the bottom left of the monitor, absolutely nothing happens. I've checked the connections of the Xbox and computer; all are perfect and nothing was ever altered.

Can someone please tell me what is causing this. Sorry if I sound too frustrated -  I'd appreciate if good solutions are given instead of a nonchalant post of hey check this guide out, a guide which tells absolutely nothing on the problem at hand. Thanks in advance!

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

It would help if you supplied the complete product number or product name for your HP product.

Reclines are normally 23-xxxxxx product name devices

When you connect the powered on X-box does the operating system respond with a sound and a message?

The HDMI button is only for when it does not respond.

I recommend that you use Windows 8.1 system restore and select a restore point dated before the problem with the X-box connection began. If there happened to be a Windows 8.1 update that has caused the issue then system restore should resolve the problem.

Have you tested the xBox on another display,like an HDTV, to determine if it is operating properly? 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for answering, the model is HP Envy Recline 23-m210d with Beats Audio SE

I've never paid much attention to whether a sound comes out when I plug the Xbox in (it's always been plugged in anyway), all I do is press the HDMI button and the monitor will switch into game mode till now.

I know System Restore will probably work but I'm looking for other solutions for now, as I'll lose quite a few programs I recently bought. Thanks again for the further suggestions.

HP Recommended

No. You are  misunderstanding what Windows System restore does. It is still as user friendly as it was back in Windows 7. You can even roll back to the state the computer was in before applying the restore point. 

It is unlike Windows 8.1 Refresh or the "hardcore"  remove everything and reinstall Windows options. The following images shows what you probably were thinking instead of what I was referring to. That is not the case. Hold the Windows key down and tap the F key and then type in system restore to access Windows system restore. In my own opinion, installing a few programs is minimal effort compared to the desired result of system restore lets you use the XBox as you did before. Sometimes you have to give up a little to achieve what you want to do with a little effort on your part. There is no magic bullet that will  resolve your issue that I have ever heard of.

refresh.PNG

Windows system restore will not remove any programs that have been installed. Everything that is installed as of the date of the recovery program will remain. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi again,

Thanks, I know it sounds a little shallow to say I wouldn't want to reinstall some programs which sounds rather easy, it's just that those programs were purchased and I thought there might be some unexpected complications in trying to downlaod them again.

System Restore is probably the best option there is - though I am wondering if indeed a Windows update caused this malfunction, then the update  would simply present itself again afer I restored Windows to its pre-updated state. As I don't know which is the exact update that caused this, then does this mean that I might have to permanently stop WIndows from auto updates lest this happens again?

HP Recommended

If you purchased a program then the activation license key should be available. Check the email from the vendor you bought the programs from and save the license key externally, perhaps on a usb thumbdrive.

If a Windows Update caused the issue, then it is likely that there will be a system restore checkpoint dated prior to the update  being applied.

I have never used automatic updates. It is  a better idea to use  Windows Update setting that notifies you that updates are available, so you can review them before applying them manually. Just do a couple updates at a time instead of letting Update apply a bunch of updates at once. That method lets you have system restore checkpoints that will allow you to recover easily from a failed update or other issue.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks, I tried System Restore to the earliest of points that the computer showed, but the problem still persists. I'll need an even earlier a restore point then - how do I go about this?

I've set windows to not automatically update itself as well.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Reinstall the video driver. The audio is provided by the video driver. Some models of your desktop PC have NVIDIA and some have only the Intel HD audio. Make sure you install the correct version by verifying that in the device manager in the Sound, video and game controller device section.

I will edit this shortly.

HP Recommended

Hi,

When you say reinstall, does this mean uninstalling the drivers then restarting the computer? As I understand that the drivers will self-reinstall upon restarting.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Have you identified how your desktop is configured yet?

Is there a single video solution or are there two installed?  See your device manager and expand the display adapters section. 

The OS won't reinstall the HD driver on its own. it will only install a basic WHQL driver. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.