HP IQ526 TV Tuner Issues (1300 Views)
Honor Student
Dirtdober
Message 1 of 3 (1,300 Views)

HP IQ526 TV Tuner Issues

For those trying to use the built in PCI Digital TV Tuner in your TouchSmart, there are a few issues.

First, you need to download the Vista SP2 upgrade to get very far, second if you are trying to follow the instructions you received with your purchase on capturing digital channels, there is a problem with the Windows Media Center software that 'hunts for channels'.

After 3 hours and not finding a single channel over my carriers cable network, it was clear the instructions for tuning 'Clear QAM' dont work. Here is what you need to do:

First, find another TV in the house that has a QAM tuner in it, that can capture your providers digital line up. Write down the digital frequency for the specific channels, walk it over to the IQ526. Bring up Windows Media Center, find 'Tasks', then 'Settings', then 'TV Setup', then 'Guide'.  Select 'Add More Channels',

and start entering in the digital frequency for your channels (like 130.2). 

You may also need to attenuate your signal... my signal is pretty hot, and the tuner will pixilate like crazy if you dont.  I found 16db was a sweet spot.

Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 3 (1,283 Views)

Re: HP IQ526 TV Tuner Issues

Is this assuming you've selected "antenna" and then "digital" when initialy setting up your tuner in WMC? So ... if you selected set-top box/cable and then went through the process you don't get local HD? And if you select Antenna -> Digital -> and manually input the frequency, then you get HD from your local cable? If so, then this is a pretty cool tip... Thanks!
... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Honor Student
Dirtdober
Message 3 of 3 (1,257 Views)

Re: HP IQ526 TV Tuner Issues

We tried that approach on the phone with HP TS. Selecting Antenna did not work.  We just went through the standard instructions for clear(QAM) setup which means selecting digital setup, but bypassing the autotune procedure. I also suspect that a really strong signal from the cable provider causes problems with the autotune process, causing it to not be able to lock on any channels. I did test this, but still got an air ball after and hour or so (did run faster after I attched the attenuators).

After aborting autotune, just go to 'Guide', and 'add channels'. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation