HP TouchSmart application will not start (3594 Views)
Honor Student
Gstyle33
Message 1 of 3 (3,594 Views)

HP TouchSmart application will not start

We purchased an HP IQ 526 TouchSmart desktop with Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit machine approximately two months ago. We use Clearwire to connect to the internet. About a month ago the HP TouchSmart applilcation stopped working. It will not start. Every time we try to start it we get the following error message:

HP TouchSmart Calendar has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Sometimes it says it's the HP TouchSmart Notes has stopped working or one of the other TouchSmart applications. I went to hp.com and updated all of the software for the TouchSmart application and Windows Vista. And I reguarly use Windows Update to ensure my OS is current with Microsoft security updates. I also updated the firmware. After these actions and rebooting many times the application would still not start. At this point I contacted HP customer support. We uninstalled HP TouchSmart, then reinstalled. This didn't work. I continue to see information events in the Windows Application Log almost every minute regarding HPTouchSmartCalendarNotes. They are typically the following messages over and over:

Reminder clock elapsed event is successfully fired.

CheckReminder() is executed successfully.

ShowReminder() is executed successfully.

After Fetching the XML nodes, checking for each node is done successfully in ShowReminder()

Events in Events.xml Before Showing Reminder<DataRoot></DataRoot>

I still have a case open with HP support and they said uinstalling the OS and reinstalling is likely the next step but I have to believe someone else has run into this issue or HP has a QFE for this issue. I really do not want to uninstall the OS and reinstall it. This has become very frustrating as the HP TouchSmart application is the primary reason we purchased the computer so my wife can manage our photos and music collection via the touch screen.

If anyone has seen this before or has a solution I would love to hear about it. We are considering taking the computer back if we can not resolve this issue.

On a related note and this might be a separate issue I continuously get HPTCS stopped working messages. I've searched the internet for what HPTCS.exe is and what is does but there is little to no information available.

Please let me know or if there is additional information I could provide that would be useful for troubleshooting.

Cheers,

G

Honor Student
Gstyle33
Message 2 of 3 (3,375 Views)

Re: HP TouchSmart application will not start

Our machine was sent back to HP and they reformatted our hard drive and sent it back. Wow. Fantastic service. NOT!!!! I could have done that. Without debugging their own software to figure out why this was happening they reformatted the hard drive. I can only expect this problem will happen again since there must be a software update, etc... that is causing this behavior. I honestly do not know how to voice my disgust in their customer service. I have been a long time fan of HP and we basically only buy HP at work but this was the poorest display of customer service I have ever encountered. If your TouchSmart application stops working and the TouchSmart software updates do not resolve the problem you might as well pretend like you bought a normal computer without touch capabilities. Like buying an iPhone without it behaving like an iPhone.

Student
Tune
Message 3 of 3 (528 Views)

Re: HP TouchSmart application will not start

I have sent mine in 2 times for same issues  Photo Music, Video programs not working First time hard drive replaced and reformated  On startup it was there still. Was sent the disc to redo and guess what Still there Just received it back today again from second repair This time motherboard and reset bios and wow still not working I wonder if anybody turned it on and looked before it was returned

Iam not a happy camper I want a replacement PC , and not a touchsmart

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation