Question

Tutor
itsDennis
Message 1 of 21 (5,204 Views)

HP Touchsmart 310-1125y Black Screen Issue

I have a HP Touchsmart 310-1125y computer and it's been working all fine until 2 days ago. I shut it down like i normally do every night before i sleep, but that morning i woke up, turning on the computer but nothing pops up. No HP logo or nothing. Just black screen. I can hear the fan running and everything. Seems like it's working fine.

TEMPORARILY SOLUTION: I attempted hard resets, and such. After a while of frustration, turning the computer on and off through the power button. It turned on normally. 

Now.. This is where the problem actually starts to be stubborn. Today the computer won't work. After long hours of turning it on and off, nothing is happening.

WHAT I SEE: All I see is a Black Screen (Blank Screen). I hear the fan working as it usually does. And the power button continue's to light up.

I have no clue as to why this is happening. Any help would be appreciated. Please help.

PhD Student
SomelOguh
Message 2 of 21 (5,181 Views)

Re: HP Touchsmart 310-1125y Black Screen Issue

Hello,

I think that possibly the issue might be hardware defect and only a repair would fix it.

The cause for this problem can be CPU/Motherboard or video card.

Are you willing to open up the computer and make a CPU reset? THis means to remove the CPU and to re-insert it back into the socket?

If not, try to remove the power cable and keep the power button pressed for 30 seconds, then try to turn it on again. If this fails, you might try a memory reset, remove the ram and try to insert it again back.

Let me know.

Thanks,

I work for HP! Please remember to provide kudo.JPGand if this helped click ON AS.JPG

Tutor
itsDennis
Message 3 of 21 (5,171 Views)

SomelOguh wrote:

Hello,

I think that possibly the issue might be hardware defect and only a repair would fix it.

The cause for this problem can be CPU/Motherboard or video card.

Are you willing to open up the computer and make a CPU reset? THis means to remove the CPU and to re-insert it back into the socket?

If not, try to remove the power cable and keep the power button pressed for 30 seconds, then try to turn it on again. If this fails, you might try a memory reset, remove the ram and try to insert it again back.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Thanks for your response,

I opened the computer twice already, checking to see if anything was out of place but fail to find the CPU. (I don't know what it looks like). Although I did try the second and last option. (removing the RAM and place it back) and (30sec unplugged). It seems it did not work as the computer still fails to startup.

If needed, I have a picture of the touchsmart without the backend.

PhD Student
SomelOguh
Message 4 of 21 (5,150 Views)

Hello,

Please provide the picture and will tell you where is the CPU.

Thanks,

I work for HP! Please remember to provide kudo.JPGand if this helped click ON AS.JPG

Tutor
itsDennis
Message 5 of 21 (5,147 Views)

[ Edited ]

377829E8-E395-4777-A9DA-DE896CDE4199.jpg

This is the best I could do. Scared to take off any other parts of the computer as it may damage it and I am not a professional.

Honor Student
MarkeeB
Message 6 of 21 (5,143 Views)

I'm having this very same issue =\
Tutor
itsDennis
Message 7 of 21 (5,139 Views)

MarkeeB wrote:
I'm having this very same issue =\

Try the suggestions given by the Expert above. See if those work. I'll keep trying to fix mine and will respond if I get any progress. I do think it has something to do with the CPU though. Good luck!

Honor Student
MarkeeB
Message 8 of 21 (5,132 Views)

Tried unplugging and all that and also does not work, have never taken back off afraid i might damage something haha! Think ive had it around 2 years as well =/
Tutor
itsDennis
Message 9 of 21 (5,127 Views)

I've had my touchsmart since 2010. :C Hopefully I get a reply back from SomelOGuh soon.

PhD Student
SomelOguh
Message 10 of 21 (5,100 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

You have to remove the aluminum cover around the memory, if you do that, then you will have access to the CPU.

Without Cover.JPG

Then you have to remove the CPU Heatsink that you can see below.

CPU.JPG

Then you will have access to the CPU, it's on the right side, there is a lever that you need to lift up to unlock the CPU, then you have to remove it and then insert it back. Ensure you fit it correctly, because it will only fit in one way and you dont want to damage the CPU Pins; this is just for you to be aware.

CPU without thermal.JPG

After you do that, you only have to use the lever to unlock the CPU and remove it, then insert it back and use the lever to lock the cpu and unlock it 3x times, then ensure its locked and mount the heatsink and try to boot the unit.

See what happens next and let me know the outcome of it, will wait for your updates.

Thanks,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation