Question
HP Touchsmart 310-1125y Black Screen Issue
Replies (18)

Tutor
itsDennis
Message 11 of 19 (2,295 Views)

Re: HP Touchsmart 310-1125y Black Screen Issue

I took off the cpu out, and placed it back. Following your exact instructions. It still doesn't work. :smileysad:

PhD Student
SomelOguh
Message 12 of 19 (2,250 Views)

Hello,

It was worth to try still.

Try to use the lever several times, its a long shot but you can still try. 

I think you do not have any means to get hands on a new or a borrowed CPU to test a new one right?

The problem you have, can be possibly related to the CPU or system board. At least you have done and tried what was possible to be done in terms of troubleshooting...

I work for HP! Please remember to provide kudo.JPGand if this helped click ON AS.JPG

Honor Student
MarkeeB
Message 13 of 19 (2,246 Views)

Been told its either the screen or the motherboard and going to cost £200+ to fix.
Student
twangin4u
Message 14 of 19 (2,206 Views)

I too am also having the same issue with my touchsmart 310PC.  I was glad to see some updated posts on the issue.  I was beginning to lose hope of repairing my computer. My screen flashes the HP logo briefly then goes blank.  I can hear it crunching numbers and see the HDD light blinking away as it is booting up (with a blank screen). Heres the strange thing. If i press any key on the keyboard it will sometimes very briefly show whats on the screen and then go blank again. I'd say maybe 1/2 - 1 second. I cant really see it being the CPU because it is booting and processing. Theres just no picture. I thought maybe the RAM, but again I dont think it would even boot up if there was a problem with the RAM. Im leaning more towards the GPU.... I was in WALMART this evening and ran across a USB monitor. I thought maybe it would be the key to solving the issue. Problem is that the monitor requires drivers to work. It would be a pure stroke of luck to be able to guess keystrokes to install drivers. It was $99.00 so I think I will be taking it back tomorrow. Too bad it wasnt like a wireless keyboard or mouse. Oh well.  Im not even sure you can replace the GPU on this computer. Probably will require a heatshrink gun.  I dunno Im gonna check it out right now. Any info anyone else may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tutor
tangledup61
Message 15 of 19 (2,190 Views)

have you tried reparing it with a recovery disc if you want to try it here is a link to explain how.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win7-windows-7-mbr,10036.html     good luck

Tutor
tangledup61
Message 16 of 19 (2,189 Views)

you start by putting the disc in your cp then restart it and it sshould go into boot mode also you could try restarting your pcwhile holding down the F2 button to go into recovery mode
Student
mago2004
Message 17 of 19 (2,153 Views)

I am having a similar issue, except that when i power up my screen follows through the normal setup sequence through the "welcome" screen, then the screen goes black andnow the c:smileytongue:rompt box appears.  I can access all my programs by hitting cont/alt/delete and pulling up the taskmanage, but no desktop taskbar or startup menue appears on the screen.  If I go into the control panel, all the functions respond except the taskbar/startup menu.  I can click all day and nothing happens. 

If I upgrade to a different version of windows 7, will it overwrite whatever is blocking or corrupted the system? or is there another solution other than rewriting the whole thing.

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 18 of 19 (2,141 Views)

Hello mago 2004:

Yours is an easy fix. Shut down the computer. Turn on your computer and tap the f-8 key use your arrow keys select Safe mode with net working . Next Window close out Help and Support window . Now go to all programs search box. In the search box type in Recovery Manager listed it above open it if prompt window displays click yes. Once recovery manager is open select Microsoft System Restore keep clicking next it until you get a window with dates. You can choose date before this event occurred but if it was me I would go back as far as I could go and select that date and perform the recovery. Hopefully it should roll back the computer back before your settings got messed up. Some thing got turned off in Services. I do not know what item it is that controls the task bar and the windows display. It was probable caused by Microsoft updates they just released a new big batch of them. That windows program failed to turn its self back on or the messed up the settings.

It is easer to do the back restore then figure out what was turned off. frrw

Student
JW008
Message 19 of 19 (1,416 Views)

Thanks for the helpful pictures and instructions!

Took the CPU out, bent some pins but managed to straighten them out. Put it all together. Made sure all connections were secure and also cleaned out all the dust. Started it up... nothing happened.... left it plugged in on over night and waited for a miracle. In the morning still black screen, turned the power button off and on again.....miracle happened........booted up as normal.....now an hour later still working :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation