HP Touchsmart 600-1040es and windows 8 / black screen and no install !! HELP please (4344 Views)
Top Student
remstoffer
Message 1 of 16 (4,344 Views)

HP Touchsmart 600-1040es and windows 8 / black screen and no install !! HELP please

Hello,

I am trying to install Windows 8 on my HP Touchsmart 600-1040es from december 2009 but it's almost a mission imposible. Before I downloaded I asked HP by E-mail if W8 could be installed on my machine (VN324AA-ABE) and they told me they tested this machine and it would be posible. 

After buying W8 online I started trying to installe W8 as an upgrade first and later also the two other ways ... all three without succes uptill now. All is well untill some moment where the screen turns black and nothing happens anymore. I afterwards have to switch the computer off manually and restart only to see a screen saying the instalation failed and W7 wuld be installed again.

Big bummer !! Is there anybody out there who succefully installed W8 on this machine ?? I suppose it is not the oldest touchsmart on the world and still one big modern hardware compared to other computers where W8 can be installed. I know the touch experience will not be like a W8 build machine but this is for me not the most important part of W8, at least not on my computer. I JUST WANT IT TO WORK !!

Thanks for sharing your experiences and who knows even your sollutions.

PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 2 of 16 (4,325 Views)

Re: HP Touchsmart 600-1040es and windows 8 / black screen and no install !! HELP please

Must be one of your applications/drivers causing the rollback to Win 7.

Connect a new HDD in there and do a clean install. Don't leave the LAN connected. Once install succeeds and you can get to the desktop, create a system restore point (call it "Good"). Then plug in the LAN and start updating drivers from WU / installing apps.

Tutor
The_Ridlah
Message 3 of 16 (4,291 Views)

Re: HP Touchsmart 600-1040es and windows 8 / black screen and no install !! HELP please

I called hp they said call microsoft who said to call hp so its a circle i called nvidia and they said that Hp handles a custom version of the graphics card running on the touchsmart anyways they didn't post any support drivers and the only way to run windows 8 pro on your touchsmart is go into safe mode and right click my computer click manage and find display adapter, click on display adapters and you should see your graphics card, right click it and hit disable. Once your graphics card is disabled you should be able to load windows 8 it will be a little choppy but you will have to manage using it until Hp pushes out a graphics driver supporting the operating system don't bother with customer support since they clearly didn't test this software and support it. Im not sure how you would enter safe mode, for me we went into the bios menu and changed the sata from ahci to ide as long as you change it from what it is then boot into windows it will say attempting repairs a couple of times than you will get a blue screen with steps, i believe it was hit advance settings then something else sorry i dont remember but just search around there is a back button.

Top Student
remstoffer
Message 4 of 16 (4,279 Views)

I am actually FED UP with trying !!!

I think I will wait for an official update of the drivers or what else from HP. They MUST do something, I suppose I am not the only one with a touchsmart who wants to update to W8 ???

Anyway, keep on giving me hints and tips ... who knows, I'll try again.

Thanks!!

Student
Jbotz
Message 5 of 16 (4,179 Views)

This is definitely because there is no supported graphics driver.I have 600-1050 and my g200 nvidia does not have a compatible windows 8 driver. Still trying to find a work around

Student
shinsenai
Message 6 of 16 (4,119 Views)

I have a TouchSmart 800 and had the same issue just a week ago upgrading from Windows 7. However, I tried today and Windows 8 installed flawlessly. I guess updated drivers have been made available and downloaded at the beginning of the upgrade.

Top Student
remstoffer
Message 7 of 16 (4,065 Views)

That is good to hear Shinsenai. I'll have a go at it this weekend and see if me too can do an uograde now. Enjoy and don't hesitate to share your thoughts and impresions on W8 on a touchsmart.
Top Student
remstoffer
Message 8 of 16 (4,064 Views)

Yes, I'll guess I have to wait a while longer for an update.
Top Student
remstoffer
Message 9 of 16 (3,834 Views)

Well, uptill now no solution but aparently the problem is the NVDIA driver and aparently HP does not want to upgrade this for windows 8.

Anybody has a good working sollution with a explanation how to disbale or upgrade the driver of the graphic cart ??

Thank you!

Honor Student
key2xanadu
Message 10 of 16 (3,603 Views)

Hi guys!

I saw this thread while trying to upgrade my own HP TouchSmart PC (an IQ507) .

Mine took a ton of trial & error, but *finally* it worked with these steps:

1. Back up *everything* you want to save. I ended up wiping all the data to get the upgrade to work.

2. Restart your computer and boot into the Windows 8 installation DVD. I used the 64 bit DVD since my IQ507 supports 64 bit. To boot into the DVD, you'll have to press some F key (e.g. F10) and probably another key to get the computer to load the DVD.

3. Choose the Clean Install option. When you see the screen with your disk partitions, go into advanced options and wipe/delete the large partition you want to install on. (Make sure you actually backed up your data!) My computer was set up with 2 partititions: a larger primary partition and then a smaller partition so I wiped and installed into the primary partition (no changes to the smaller partition).

4. Grab some water and hang around your computer as the installation continues.

5. About 15 to 30 minutes after installation started, I saw a Personalize screen where I had to choose a color. About 30 seconds after going through such setup screen, my computer started acting wacko and blanking out. I had to reboot multiple times and at some point got to a Windows recovery screen. On this recovery screen, I tried a few options to get the computer to not blank out during setup. The option that seemed to work was the one to turn off anti-malware (under Advanced Options). Be prepared to restart your computer a ridiculous number of times! :smileyhappy:

6. At some point, I made it through the initial setup screens without the computer blanking out. After that, I finally saw the Windows 8 start screen and then made some updates to bring back the start button (using www.windows8startbutton.com), remove the IE button, install Chrome, etc. However, while doing this, the computer would still blank out a few times. I looked around for whether I needed to update graphics drivers but could not find anything. Note that throughout the process, I got this to work *without* separately updating the BIOS or any other hardware parts.

7. At some point later, the computer with the newly installed Windows 8 seemed to stabilize. However, it's only been a few hours since I've set up Windows 8 and so perhaps I should be expecting other random blank outs. :smileysad:

Bottom-line summary: It was a frustrating experience to upgrade to Windows 8 but at least it finally seemed to work. Good luck, and would be glad to clarify anything if case it's helpful!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation