Question

Honor Student
Iainw
Message 1 of 6 (495 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP software recovery for a Touchsmart

610--5010f Machine Touchsmart 64bit

New, out of the box. Upgraded to ultimate 7 and performed the tedious updating stuff. Got a message about a failed patch. System disappeared. The d: recovery system did not work at all, there was no image. The alternative was to order the discs. That took 6 days. In the meantime decided to reinstall ultimate / wipe the disk. After a day everything updated and working so installed an updated bios. #Bios error, default only. ....Good grief.

Reinstalled the system. Upgraded the bios - everything appears normal BUT all that lovely HP software is gone and is only available on the system recovery, which, of course offers to wipe the disk clean and start all over again. That is what I call user friendly. Would it really be so incredibly difficult to just put all the hp stuff on a separate disk so I can enjoy what I paid for? Apparently yes it would. Lovely machine, dreadful concept.

If anyone knows how I can get all the HP software apps back on the hard disk without erasing everything again I would be very grateful. Total messing about time so far with this machine has been 8 days and it still irritates me.

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 2 of 6 (446 Views)

Re: HP software recovery for a Touchsmart

Hello lianw:

Welcome to HP forum. Troubles to with upgrading Windows 7 I see. First thing is use your recovery disk that HP sent you. Perform your computers recovery. Now wants that is completed. Your system can now be upgraded. This time do not wipe or delete anything. Now open up your Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. Only use your product key code. That is on Windows 7 Ultimate package. Type in that number only. Let it do it's thing. Now HP's  Software will not be touched by Windows 7 Ultimate  Upgrade. Only software will be effected is Windows software. You still need to go on line and download Windows 7 add ons. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-7 . If you follow direction given here you should not have any troubles. Please click on Kudos if this has resolved your issue. Thank you frrw Enjoy your new computer.

Honor Student
Iainw
Message 3 of 6 (439 Views)

Hi Kudos. I appreciate your taking the time to give me some advice, that was very kind. But my problem is that having reinstalled all my programs on a wiped disc, together with the 14 hours of updating time that went with it I really dont feel like doing it all again. And there are absolutely no guarantees that should I wipe the disc and start again with the HP recovery disk, that everything will in fact go smoothly, as there were numerous update problems after I wiped and re-installed Word Pro, Acrobat, etc on the hard disk. So, again, I would state that it is very odd that HP will not supply the Touchsmart programs for installation on a separate disc. I paid not only for the hardware but the software as well. No I cannot install the software unless I also am willing to waste more time. That is downright silly.

Regards

iw

Honor Student
Iainw
Message 4 of 6 (399 Views)

Again, thank you for your time. I realize that if I am willing to work on my Touchsmart for about 2 days to reinstall everything and update it all - again - then it will be fine. But I am not. I did not create a situation that has the nonsensical starting point which states that "If HP software really messes up your new computer then you will just have to sit there for 2 days reinstalling it all over a system that is already working because, we say so". That is not very customer orientated. I am pretty convinced at this stage that the HP apps I cannot use because to use them I will have to wipe my disk and reinstall, are really not that great anyway. Things like Canvas, app centre, Notes and so on. They just make the whole thing look a bit prettier. But, I paid for them, so I would like to have them installed. I mean for goodness sake, why on earth would HP make this all so difficult? Its not as if we are talking about world altering software here. No wonder they are giving up on the desktop market.

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 5 of 6 (395 Views)

Hello lainw:

You can still get back your HP Touchsmart software it is just going to be tricky. I know this works for other software. Most likely will work for Touchsmart software. You know the upgrade HP Touchsmart software version software release. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/leavinghp?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.touchsmartdevzone.com%2Fdownload%2...   This is our Touchsmart version 4 down load o.k. Save it to the desktop ok. Do not open it. Instead insert a blank cd r into CD/DVD drive. Now go to my computer click and open DVD RW Drive(E:smileyhappy: in new window. It should display CD R blank window.  Now click on HP Touchsmart software 4 down load icon and drag it into CD R blank window. Automatically copies download to CD R disc. Ounce finish coping. Close everything out and eject CD R disc. Then resert CD R back into computer. If promt windows opens Select open to view files. Now install each file individual look for insulation files these are the ones to install should end exc.  This may work. I know it does for very old XP Windows and Windows 98 software. I have Windows XP Plus software running on Windows 7 Ultimate computers plus other XP and 98 software files had to be individual installed.

This may work I never had to do it with HP Software before.  I would have use your Orginal Recovery Disc but I do not know witch disc has what information on it. Inserting them may trigger the full recovery witch you indecated you did not want to do.

For your records ok please open up your computer's information window and copy down the Windows 7 Ultimate  product number for the future. When you do have to do a full recovery because of computer crash. Then you will be able to get back your computer original  and up grade with product key number the right way next time through.  If you still having troubles let me know. Thank you frrw

Honor Student
Iainw
Message 6 of 6 (389 Views)

Well thank you for the information. I did as you suggested although I must admit I do not understand the rigmarole about downloading onto a DVD, ejecting and then re-inserting it. But all that happened when the program was initiated was that it downloaded nothing and kept asking for me to download the files again. I experimented with various ways on installing the upgrade but the result was always the same. "More files need downloading". None of the actions in the Advanced file were available. My conclusion is that for one reason or another the files could not be downloaded - they never arrived on my hard disk or on the DVD - Or HP have made the system obsolete by refusing access to the FTP sites I assume it relies on. So I am still stuck without my software from HP and now I am talking to people who are trying to do HPs job for them. Which is very kind but I think they should do it themselves. By the way, you are correct, it is possible to rework the Recovery disks so that only the files I want are written to the hardisk, but it would take me about 208 hours to work it out. So I guess the best thing is just to carry on with a half-arsed machine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation