Question

Student
katiemezz
Message 1 of 14 (22,177 Views)

HP touchsmart won't turn on

hp touchsmart iq790

I've bought a HP TOUCHSMART IQ790 a few years ago, and it's been working completely fine, never had any problems with it until now. I've just got back from being away for a week and I've turned on the computer and it makes the noises as its turning on, but the touch screen is completely  blank and just stays black.  But when you touch the screen it makes the contact noise. Please help! I don't understand why it wont work. thanks

Top Student
MariaLynn2002
Message 2 of 14 (22,092 Views)

Re: HP touchsmart won't turn on

is it working now?

i have the IQ775 and the same thing happened....you have to hold in the power button for about a minute,,then try again...sometimes you have to do this several times if windows doesnt boot up....i had a tech come, they changed out the power  supply, but it is still doing it...i just havent turned it off for weeks for fear it wont turn back on...i am currently waiting for them to get back to me to see  how to proceed....i have the warranty and it just expired (2 years)....one time buying the extra store warranty has paid off. dont know what they are gonna do now ....it turns on, just windows is not booting up, hence the black screen. so keep trying to hold in the button and hopefully it will work..let me know!

Grad Student
Ben95111
Message 3 of 14 (21,962 Views)

Hello,

This could either be display or OS.

Obviously.

Try booting into Safe Mode by Turning on the computer and when you see the HP logo in the blue screen, tap F8 as fast as you can, about 10 times.

When a screen with Advanced Boot Options comes up, select Safe mode with networking.

If this fails, then it's display, and i would contact HP.

If it works, then leave it on and proceed to login and try to start PC Doctor Hardware Diagnostic Tools. 

I have more HP devices than you'd expect.
1 HP TouchPad 32 GB with Android
2 HP Touchsmarts (310-1000z and IQ527)
2 HP Printers (J6480 and J5750)
1 Laptop (HP DV6253CL)

Have at least some experience in each of those devices, and i'll do my best to help you.
Kudos if I helped!
Top Student
MariaLynn2002
Message 4 of 14 (21,909 Views)

well it is still happening to me

i have to hold in the power button several times before the computer will load

you cannot do an F8 safe mode because it doesnt get that far, its just a black screen from the get go

it takes several times holding in the power button for over a minute, then it will boot and load

the warranty company (office depot) said they dont know whats wrong with it, neither does HP, and i received a check in the mail for my purchase price of the computer! so now i am going computer shopping. i was looking at the 600xt, but it will cost me out of pocket 300.00 additional dollars so i dont know.

Grad Student
Ben95111
Message 5 of 14 (21,900 Views)

I would say the whole system is compromised..

If you can return it, please do, and switch for a new computer, or bring it to Best Buy where they can diagnose it.

1 Laptop (HP DV6253CL)

Have at least some experience in each of those devices, and i'll do my best to help you.
Kudos if I helped!
Honor Student
zxrichie
Message 6 of 14 (21,345 Views)

Maria, What was the outcome, i'm having exactly the same issues.

Thx

Rich

Grad Student
Ben95111
Message 7 of 14 (21,344 Views)

Well, it can't be software.

Well, it can't be software.

It's probably or most likely hardware. I would open it up if you're experienced and look if the cords are securely attached, or if there's any dust.

1 Laptop (HP DV6253CL)

Kudos if I helped!
Teacher
Hiddenvision
Message 8 of 14 (21,312 Views)

[ Edited ]

How old was the machine (Ahh 2 years) , it is great to see that you got a FULL refund.

Did you have to do anything special or were they perfectly willing.!?

Is the 600xt a HP product.. ???

Does that not set some alarm bells ringing if you have just experienced one catastrophic falure with them...

But you could get lucky and be an isolated incident, ( and get a good one.)

Sony make a nice unit, and I think Dell are starting a good range of Touch devices.

If you can search for spare parts, for any intended purchase and find lots, then that is not a good sign!

Hv. 

I never knew who HP were until my workshop got filled with faulty equipment. !! I know who Apple are now too.
Teacher
Hiddenvision
Message 9 of 14 (21,311 Views)

[ Edited ]

Some Helpfull words too..

The IQ700 series all will suffer from Fan and heat sink blockage in time.

The viens in the cooler are very narrow and clog with little effort.

This lends the machine to overheat and Fail in one or more ways.

The Power supply fan may also fail but this is less restricted

Failures:

1: Fan clogs and stops turning. ( Clean fan, dust and vents )

2: MXM Graphics card overheats. ("remove card" mod may work)

3: Motherboard overheats. ( Too many options)

HP will never be able to fix these sort of problems because

first they would have to admit there was a problem to be fixed.

If they did that then they would have a lot of work on their hands.

If you have a PC ( any brand ) and it uses a fan to cool things down then

over time there is a fair chance you will suffer from dust buildup,

leading to poor cooling and possible failure.

Yes MAC's suffer too . after all they are still just a PC.

Although I do not think I have ever seen an overheated mac.

If you have good lungs then a good blow every now and again can keep things clear,

or use a DRY compressed air line.

If things are clogged or worse, then all the blowing ain't gona do it and you will have to get your fingers dirty..

Hv.

I never knew who HP were until my workshop got filled with faulty equipment. !! I know who Apple are now too.
Honor Student
eddoe69
Message 10 of 14 (19,501 Views)

Re: HP touchsmart IQ506 won't turn on

[ Edited ]

I have the identical problem and I have tried to hold the power switch for a minute or so and that won't work. I know I have power because the light at the bottom is on. I just can' get past the black screen and nothing happens when I touch the screen. my computer I'd a IQ506. I bought it at Best Buy but have no warranty because it's more than a year old. Should I unplug the power suppy for a short period before plugging it back in and begin to hold the on/off button?
Any help i can get will be appreciated. [Personal Information Removed]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation