Question

Tutor
Chuck55
Message 1 of 15 (3,844 Views)

HPSF.EXE ERROR

I have 2 problems...When HP Support Assistant opens I get this error: HPSF.EXE has stopped working. This application has encountered a serious problem and must close. Click "OK" to automatically restart this application...I did this and the same error message appears...Also the blue circle with the ? in it, is missing icon...All this happened after HP Support Assistant upgraded to a new version.

Thank You,

Chuck

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 2 of 15 (3,770 Views)

Re: HPSF.EXE ERROR

Hello Chuck55:
Lovely update. Just open up recovery manger and select Software Program Reinstallation click next and once list is open go down list and locate HP Support Assistance and reinstall the original one back. Your update failed does that ounce in a blue moon was corrupted. Ounce yuo have reinstalled your original back on. Change it settings from automatically to down load updates but let me choose witch ones to install. Go to your computers wep-page update page and manually down load HP Support Assistance viruses the computer doing it. Microsoft updates could have effected the HP Support Assistance's update. Microsoft just released 21 updates same time HP Support Assistance was released. If manually still fails to install follow same prececedure above but never update HP Support Assistance keep your original one instead. frrw
Associate Professor
frrw
Message 3 of 15 (3,740 Views)

Hello Chuck55:

My computer has the same issue now a previous versions my steps worked for it. I have Iyogi Experts working on the issue, Soon as I find the sollution for it. I will post it. Iyogi technicians unistalled but what happened next was the computer went into black screen after Windows 7 logo screen, We tried converting back to orginal version but that did nothing. We went to computers update page and tried to down load the previous update. Message received says this update is not for my computer. Right now my HP Touchsmart is running check disk scan. Ounce it is completed I will see if that does any thing. All I know right now that update is not listed in Programs and Features and it runs every thing that has to do with HP,s software and HP printers. I seen what was effected by dates when I updated it. HP Support Assisiant causes to many system errors espechially on start up. Others you will not noticed right a way until you go to open things. You would think HP would have tested these updates before they send them out. Any one else please do not update HP Support Assisant. Iyogi said to do a factory restore. For now I am trying to prevent that. frrw

Tutor
Chuck55
Message 4 of 15 (3,729 Views)

Thank you, because the previous fix you had me try did not work...So I will be waiting to hear from

you on what to do next.

Chuck

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 5 of 15 (3,719 Views)

Hello Chuck55:

Last night Iyogi technicians where working on the issue they finley deleted from the computer. That did not work because it caused Black Screen of Death (Blue Screen Death). The Iyogi's expert teams are going to call me tonight and work on it. I already informed HP Technical support on this issue. They said to do a factory restore but that's a waste of time and pointless because HP Support Assistance will only update its self again we will be at the same place we are at now.  I will come back to night or early in the morning to post results. For time being enore it. There are other programs on our computers that does the same thing as HP Support Assistance does. It was nice to have everything excessed in one spot in stead of manually opening separate programs. frrw

Tutor
Chuck55
Message 6 of 15 (3,719 Views)

Hello FRRW,

Thanks for the update...Maybe they will have a simple fix for it, or just do away with it all together...I liked HP Support Assistance, because you had everything in one spot...Keep me informed and thanks again!!

Chuck

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 7 of 15 (3,673 Views)

Hello Chuck55:

It is definitely not a simple fix. Iyogi ounce again spent another two hours on it. This updated version installs it self all over the place that is why it is not listed in Programs and Features any more. Like the older versions were. Try removing any part will cause Black Screen. Your computer will not start up only in safe mode. To check for HP's updates HP has given us back HP Updater again. Goto all programs list and expand HP folder there you will see HP Update open it. It will download HP installer utility tool. In PC tools and help I opened up Touch Trouble Shooter by miss stake  when I closed it. HP Support Assistance question feedback formed opened please fill it out Rember to tell them it doesn't work. Ounce summited my HP Support Assistance opened up. I do not dare dare to use it because I already know the whole thing is currupted or just bad. Iyogi did stop it from on start up in services they change it from Automatic to Manual.

Iyogi's top brass expert are now looking into this issue because on my computer it mess up the start up really bad. They are going to track down what exact program is causing the start up failer. They know it has some thing to do with HP Support Assisant. Tommor he is going to pin point and try to fix it. They have ran every imagable scan possible to determine that computer has not crashed and Malware / Spyware and virus. No mini dumps indecated or system crashes, Malware / Virus were cleared a few harmless ones were found but those where comon and from freindly game sites. No virus were found period. All services start up programs have been checked and reset. So far no fix yet. Factory restore is pointless as I mention above.

If comes to that a factory restore I am deffently turning off all updaters period and sticking with orginal. frrw   

Tutor
Chuck55
Message 8 of 15 (3,664 Views)

I think I'll leave well enough alone and not touch a thing until there is a fix for it, or whatever they decide to do...I've never had a update on anything cause so much problems. Good luck to the people trying to solve the problem. Keep me informed, and THANK YOU!!!

Chuck

PS Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 9 of 15 (3,441 Views)

Hello Chuck:

Eventfully it will crash your computer over a period of time. Iyogie's Experts devision has pinpointed the cause and the exact driver that it damaged they were able to repair some of the drivers how ever 32k system driver was not repairable. You can work arround it but eventually it will cause black screens and fatal crash. Iyogies Expert spent a lot of time working on it finely it crashed the computer. It will prevent you from being able to do back up restores.

Only fix for it is factory restore than ounce it finished open up HP Support Assistant and change its settings to never check for updates. Then manually down load Abode flash player so you can veiw TV software . Then gotohttp://www.microsoft.com/atwork/default.aspx#fbid=hAd1UT5Wdn0 and Siverlight software download will display  go ahead and download it. You can do this now a factory restore or continue to use your computer untill it becomes unstable. How wonderful of HP to do this to us. I guess it's their way of getting us to go out and buy another computer Long term damage to system operating file damages are unknow. I am sure it will be massive. Make sure you have made a back up recovery disks you may need them to do a factory restore if you do decide to work arround this bad HP Support Assistant upgraded version software. frrw

Tutor
Chuck55
Message 10 of 15 (3,298 Views)

Dear FRRW,

Isn't that just peachy!! My laptop won't be a year old until the middle of next month!! <bleeping> HP!!! I have a program from my internet provider that does alot of things, such as a Anti-Virus Check, Anti-Spyware Check, Scans for active malware, firewall check, Backup client check, Windows Update Check, Wi-FI Security Check, Disk Health Check, Disk Free Space Check, Critical Issues Check, and a Performance Check-Up...If any of those has problems, I'm giving the options of correcting them...I guess what I'm asking is, if I have that, do I really need HP Support Assistant? If not how do I delete it from my laptop? Thanks!

Chuck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation