Headphones don't turn off speakers. Win 8 (728 Views)
Top Student
emmarose
Message 1 of 6 (728 Views)

Headphones don't turn off speakers. Win 8

When I plug in my headphones the sound from the speakers does not turn off.

HP Envy 23.  Bose headphones. 

Sure don't like those Beats.

Top Student
mdmcc
Message 2 of 6 (679 Views)

Re: Headphones don't turn off speakers. Win 8

I found a document that may help:  Sound is coming from the headset and from speakers when I use microphone

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own opinion.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.
Grad Student
lil-liebe
Message 3 of 6 (673 Views)

I had the same problem recently with the Envy 23 I use at work, so I plugged the headphones into the speaker output on the back of the computer. Now the music only plays through the headphones.

When the computer is viewed from behind, the speaker output jack on your Envy is probably near the lower-right corner. It looks just like your headphone output, but has a little icon that looks a little bit like this:
(((.)))

~Lil.Liebe

Clicking the white KUDOS THUMBS UP ThumbsUp.jpg on the left is a way to say thanks!
Click Accept as Solution on a reply that solves your issue to help others in search of answers.

Top Student
emmarose
Message 4 of 6 (653 Views)

I thank you both for your suggestions.  I never would have thought about the speaker plug on the back. I will remember that one.  Seems like an easy fix. I cannot tell you how many hours I have been on the phone with HP support.  No one suggested this.

The problem was solved when I deleted and reloaded the sound driver.  

It doesn't help that the Beats headphones were defective.  But they have been replaced.  Quickly and by Beats, not by HP who led me on for ten days, passing me back and forth, and not being straightforward with me.

I thank you for your answers.

Top Student
emmarose
Message 5 of 6 (652 Views)

I bookmarked this. Never thought to configure mic for sound. Nice.
Grad Student
lil-liebe
Message 6 of 6 (644 Views)

Hi emmarose,

This problem is so widespread, and seems to be an issue with all brands of computers. My solution to plug the headset into the speaker output is just a bandaid - a good bandaid - but it doesn't solve the underlying problem. Your solution, on the other hand, does, so will you please mark your solution (deleting and reinstalling the sound drivers) as Accept as Solution? Doing so will help others. See the screenshot below for the location of the Accept as Solution button:

KudosAcceptAsSolution.jpg

~Lil.Liebe

Clicking the white KUDOS THUMBS UP ThumbsUp.jpg on the left is a way to say thanks!
Click Accept as Solution on a reply that solves your issue to help others in search of answers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation