How can I TEMPORARILY disable built-in microphone? (1230 Views)
Tutor
stratobuddy
Message 1 of 5 (1,230 Views)

How can I TEMPORARILY disable built-in microphone?

[ Edited ]

I like to record music from the web on my Touchsmart 310-1145UK (BTW this is 3 months old but HP don't recognise this model number so I can't contact customer support on-line!!!  It is a 20 inch screen all-in-one PC).

I use Audacity to record, this worked fine EXCEPT that it also recorded all the noise that the built-in microphone picked up.

I found a way of disabling it, but this turned out to be permanent and there was no way of getting it back apart from a system restore.

How can I stop the micrphone, or turn it down so it doesn't work, and then easily turn it back on again?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 5 (1,226 Views)

Re: How can I TEMPORARILY disable built-in microphone?

stratobuddy wrote:

I like to record music from the web on my Touchsmart 310-1145UK (BTW this is 3 months old but HP don't recognise this model number so I can't contact customer support on-line!!!  It is a 20 inch screen all-in-one PC).

I use Audacity to record, this worked fine EXCEPT that it also recorded all the noise that the built-in microphone picked up.

I found a way of disabling it, but this turned out to be permanent and there was no way of getting it back apart from a system restore.

How can I stop the micrphone, or turn it down so it doesn't work, and then easily turn it back on again?

Here is a link to your notebook's support portal.  That is indeed a recognized HP product name. I searched the HP server for the link.

In the systray, right-click on the volume icon. Select Recording devices.  Right-click on the microphone icone and select  Disable and select OK To enable the microphone, just go back into the very same Windows that you disabled it in. 

You can also access the sound Window by typing sound in the start search box. Select sound and then select the Recording tab.

Best regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
stratobuddy
Message 3 of 5 (1,218 Views)

Thanks for that, I am not on that PC at the moment but will try it ASAP

Re the model number - - - On the drop-down list of PC models on the HP website, mine was not listed when I tried it a few weeks ago.  Yesterday, I tried to register it with HP and typed in the model number, but was told it wasn't recognised.  I then used the HP button for them to interrogate it and find out the model and serial numbers, but it couldn't do this either!!!

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 5 (1,214 Views)

stratobuddy wrote:

Thanks for that, I am not on that PC at the moment but will try it ASAP

Re the model number - - - On the drop-down list of PC models on the HP website, mine was not listed when I tried it a few weeks ago.  Yesterday, I tried to register it with HP and typed in the model number, but was told it wasn't recognised.  I then used the HP button for them to interrogate it and find out the model and serial numbers, but it couldn't do this either!!!

On the HP main page select suppor and then pu in the product name. This is what pops up.  It is a different portal but all of the information is the same. I suggest that you try registering it again.

touchsmart.PNG

Best regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
audio-phile
Message 5 of 5 (29 Views)

are there any addition mic sources built into the all-in-one HP?

i have disabled one mic in the sound recording file, but there is still an addition input creating a reverb type noise while i attempt to record using MBOX to PRO-TOOLS.

purchased this computer for use exclusively in my audio studio and it has been nothing but a headache.... plz help me before i go MAC. all drivers have been re-loaded, checked and double checked... what have i missed?

where is the extra sound input?

thank you for any ideas.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation