Question

Honor Student
pvicrobinson
Message 1 of 7 (1,099 Views)

How do I resolve "BOOTMGR is missing" on startup of HP TouchSmart IQ816 Desktop PC (VISTA)?

Product:  HP Touchsmart PC IQ816 Desktop

OS:  Windows Vista Home Premium with Windows Media Center (64-bit) with Vista Service Pack 1

Error Msg:  "BOOTMGR is missing" "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Changes:  No changes have been made to system since purchase

Actions Taken:

1.  Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del only restarts the computer and returns to same black screen with error message: "BOOTMGR is missing" "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".

2.  Per HP troubleshooting, checked BIOS (F10) for presence of hard drive--it's present (ST3750630AS).

3.  Per HP troubleshooting, shut computer down for greater than 5 seconds. Restarted and pressed F8, but "Advanced Boot Options" screen did not open. I do not have a recovery disc.

3.  Question:  How do I replace the "BOOTMGR" if I do not have a recovery disc?  What are my options -- can I download the "BOOTMGR" from some site?  Help!!!!!!! I am a novice user.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 2 of 7 (1,059 Views)

How do I resolve "BOOTMGR is missing" on startup of HP TouchSmart IQ816 Desktop PC (VISTA)?

Hello pvicrobinson

When you say no changes have been made, are you referring to the hardware? Have you installed any updates or new software recently? Try unplugging all devices from the computer except for the keyboard and mouse (also make sure no disk is in the CD drive). Try to boot the computer again and see if the problem persists.

BOOTMGR is missing can be related to a number of problems such as: corrupt hard drive, loose or damaged cables, or simply the computer is trying to boot to the wrong drive and it can't see the operating system.
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Honor Student
pvicrobinson
Message 3 of 7 (1,053 Views)

Re: How do I resolve "BOOTMGR is missing" on startup of HP TouchSmart IQ816 Deskto

No changes were made to the hardware or software -- no updates were installed.  The computer simply would not go beyond the black screen with the error message: "Bootmgr is missing."

Since this post, I have read many of the comments and solutions offered in the forum, but all to no avail.  I purchased HP System recovery discs for Touchsmart IQ816 serial # 3CR9110WSX from HP.com. I followed the recovery instructions, but after insertion of disc 3 the system still didn't come up -- instead it continues to rear "Please wait ..."  I waited for 5-plus hours and it didn't change.  I then restarted the computer and pressed F9 (system check) and received drive error "BIOHD - 2.  After researching this error code in the forum, HP, and google, I purchased a new hard drive.  I tried installing the recovery discs to the new hard drive, but it comes up to a black screen with select another drive or load bootable media (something to that effect).

I checked all the cables and none were loose or damaged. I now have new recovery discs (3), a new Seagate 1TB HDD (replacement gor the original Seagate 750GB HDD), and a HP Touchsmart computer that I can't bootup or use.

I purchased Drivewire to clone my original HDD to the new one to see if that would make a difference -- but I haven't done that yet. I thought I might call HP Technical Support to see if they would help or explain to me why I could not install the system recovery discs to my brand new HDD, but I saw your response (by the way thanks) and decided to condult with you.

I am computer illiterate, lost, and frustrated but willing to read, listen, learn and try anything.  So any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 4 of 7 (1,050 Views)

Hello pvicrobinson

What boot order is set in the BIOS? The message "select another drive or load bootable media" sound like either the new drive is having problems as well or the computer is trying to boot/proceed to an invalid drive. If you could, re-running the recovery and getting the exact error would be very helpful as well.

Adding to what you said, yes the BIOHD - 2 error does indicate a hard drive problem. It was most likely failing or had failed, and this may be why you suddenly lost the BOOTMGR (boot manager). Without that Windows Vista, 7, and 8 can't boot. Cloning the drive may not work if the integrity of the drive is already bad (due to corruption). Cloning it will just copy the same data over and you may still have the problem.
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

Honor Student
pvicrobinson
Message 5 of 7 (1,048 Views)

Re: How do I resolve "BOOTMGR is missing" on startup of HP TouchSmart IQ816 Deskto

Current Boot Order: 1. CD-ROM GGroup, 2. Hard Drive Group, 3. Network boot group, and 4. Floppy Group.

I checked the new drive using F9 on desktop and Seagate Tools (using another conputer).  The new hard drive received no errors and passed all tests.

I am unable to duplicte the error, because I cloned the old HDD to the new one. Now I am unable to get it to boot up from the recovery discs.  I shut the computer down after inserting recovery disc 1 by holding in the power button until system shuts down and holding it in for an additional 50 to 10 seconds before restarting.  Once restarted it either: 1) loads to windows error recovery with the followinf options-- Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, or Start Windows Normally (no other options); or 2) it by passes booting from rtecovery CD and proceeds to windows screen and then to an HP Invent Screen with "Please Wait..." continually running --this screen ahas the following statements:

• DO NOT turn off PC during this one time setup process
  • Your PC restarts several times durinf this process
  • Messages may pop up onto your screen. Ignore these messages until you are prompted to Restart or Shut down (which never happens)

The computer has the screen (described in number 2 above) on as I type. It says "Please wait ..." with three blocks/squares running accross the bottom of the screen beneath "Please wait..."  This state is as far as it proceeded when it first acceppted the recovery discs. After it asked for and received disc 3, it has remained on theis screen "Please wait..."  As stateed before, I waited for more than 5 hours before trying something else.

I have to depart on business and will be away from my computer for about 4 hours. I will check back for your post and suggestions upon my return or about 8 pm tonight (11 December 2012).  I will leave the PC running or processing the Please wait while I'm gone. 

Thanks for your time and support (and quick responses).

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 6 of 7 (1,029 Views)

Hello pvicrobinson

Based on the troubleshooting thus far and the symptoms, it sound like you may have another hardware problem.

Have you tried clearing the BIOS settings and see if the problem persists? The following link is to the motherboard specs for your TouchSmart. At the bottom is a section called "Clearing the BIOS Settings". Follow the steps and see if the problem persists.
Motherboard Specifications, IMISR-CF (Eve)

Intern
Ken1766
Message 7 of 7 (1,020 Views)

Is it stuck at let's say 12% or something similar? Leave it running and when you come back it may be fine. I have seen that disc 3 take many hours, sometimes over night. You think that it is frozen, but it is not.

Do  a search on above and you will find many instances. ( My first time, I called HP tech support after trying several times to get the recovery disks to work. They wanted me to send the laptop to them to fix for $260. I went on line and searched for "recovery disks stuck at 12%" and found several hits. After leaving to run over night, my laptop was fine the next day. Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation