Question

Honor Student
skentsmi
Message 1 of 8 (7,827 Views)

How do I set up HP TouchSmart 600-1215xt with TV Tuner to Digital cable set top box?

I just purchased the HP TouchSmart 600-1215xt CTO Desktop PC with TV Tuner ATSC-NTSC w PVR & remote. I want to connect it to my  HDTV cable set top box (Cox Cable) so I can record TV programs from digital cable and stream NetFlix  video to my 52 in Samsung 1080p HDTV. Where can I find instructions for how to configure this set up?

Thanks in advance!

Grad Student
ChrisT
Message 2 of 8 (7,816 Views)

Re: How do I set up HP TouchSmart 600-1215xt with TV Tuner to Digital cable set top box?

Hi skentsmi,

Here is a good document on setting up Windows Media Center.

Here are some common errors you might run in to.

Enjoy!

-Chris

I work for HP.

Support Forums are now on your mobile phone: http://m.hp.com/supportforum
Intern
dhanning
Message 3 of 8 (7,800 Views)

Re: How do I set up HP TouchSmart 600-1215xt with TV Tuner to Digital cable set top box?

Unless I've misread the specs, you won't be able to"stream NetFlix  video to your 52 in Samsung 1080p HDTV" directly from your TouchSmart. It doesn't have any video out to feed an external TV. Generally speaking, the idea of these 23" 1080p TouchSmarts is that they ARE the TV (or at least the video display device).

Honor Student
skentsmi
Message 4 of 8 (7,789 Views)

You bring up a valid point. From reading some other comments in other posts this seems to be a recurring frustration. There is HDMI input with TV tuner but no HDMI output . Is there any viable workaround so that we have the option to view live TV, recorded programs or NetFlix steamed content on either the PC or the 52 inch Samsung?

Intern
dhanning
Message 5 of 8 (7,776 Views)

There shouldn't be any problem with viewing live TV, recorded TV, or Netflix on the TouchSmart itself. I have an external, network-based tuner that works great for live and recorded TV and of course, you can do Netflix inside Windows Media Center or via the TouchSmart Netflix application.

Since there's NO video out, there's no way to use anything else for the display...

(PS I think the HDMI input is primarily for game consoles, like the PS3, which works great, by the way ;-).

Intern
dhanning
Message 6 of 8 (7,771 Views)

skentsmi wrote:

There is HDMI input with TV tuner

To expand on my post above, the TV tuner does NOT have HDMI input. If you read the User Guide that came with the TouchSmart (p.7, 8), the TV tuner's input is actually an F-type coaxial -- you either use an antenna for an ATSC signal (over-the-air) or NTSC *analog* cable (which is become more rare all the time). You set it up using Windows Media Center, page 18 through to top half of page 22 document how to connect a set top box using various analog (composite or s-video) cables. You can not use component and you can not use HDMI.

Honor Student
bill257
Message 7 of 8 (7,106 Views)

I just got my HP Touchsmart 600 Quad Series desktop with TV tuner, ATSC-NTSC with PVR, remote.I am unable to get live tv on it.I have dishnetwork PVR reciever. It is not getting any tv signal and I am unable to cinfigure.I called HP Tech support and they are not able get any tv signal as well.I am using coaxial cable,today I will try s-video cable.Can anybody else having problem to get tv signal how to get it.I am very frustrated.It is a very expensive machine.

Honor Student
bill257
Message 8 of 8 (7,092 Views)

I am reporting back about s-video cable use and it did work.I am finally getting tv signals from dishnetwork but with s-video cable no voice so I have to hook up audio cable from the reciever to the touchsmart audio in slot.Another thing is that I am not able to sync touchsmart remote with dishnetwork.So why coaxial cable connection didnt work but s-video cable connection worked.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation