Question

Honor Student
AndrewM
Message 1 of 12 (7,292 Views)

How many Touchsmart users have had video / display problems?

I'm wondering if any other Touchsmart users that use the Nvidia chips have had video issues?  Nvidia & HP have admitted issues with some products, though HP don't mention the Touchsmart as one of the affected models,despite the fact that some Touchsmarts (eg IQ770) have both the GeForce Go 7600 chip and AMD Turion processors. But many HP users are reporting problems with other models as well.

In my case my IQ770 completely failed with a sort of checker board pattern within the warranty period, and HP fixed it (eventually!). Now the warranty has expired I'm experiencing intermittent video issues whereby the screen colors go all weird for varying periods (minutes to days), as though the color depth has gone way down, or someone is using a bad chromakey effect. Anecdotally this appears to be heat related. I've ruled out software  issues by clean booting from a boot CD. Unfortunately the intermittent nature means that even if I send it for repair, I won't immediately know if the problem has been succesfully fixed, or if in fact anything was done at all!!

So has anyone else experienced video problems?

- Andrew

Student
MYELCICK
Message 2 of 12 (6,580 Views)

Re: How many Touchsmart users have had video / display problems?

We have it too with a Touchsmart - we see a greatly reduced color depth/odd colors - although we have tehe intel core2 du t5850 chip... ours just went out of warranty

Master's Graduate
JimT
Message 3 of 12 (6,564 Views)

win 7 update drivers for the 9300m gs, both the hp supplied and nvidia supplied drivers cause the screen to flicker, installing the hp vista x64 update driver (sp37523.exe  7.15.11.7466) fixes this problem. i sure wish hp and nvidia get together and fix it ...

HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
Intern
barkway
Message 4 of 12 (6,458 Views)

I have video problems with the 600-1--5xt I got for Xmas. Mine just won't play videos of any source (hard drive, online, built in HULU). They all stop and start, stop and start, stop and start or freeze. It's annoying as hell especially since it's new and cost SOOOO much money. My old garbage laptop from years back plays videos better than this thing.

Honor Student
tregacho
Message 5 of 12 (6,310 Views)

i too have this problem. i have hp touch smart iq770. its useless now cause everytime i  boot up, the screen shows vertical colored lines that you dont see anything happening. i think its just another version of a black screen!

Honor Student
jennkstep
Message 6 of 12 (6,153 Views)

I have the IQ500 and it has the black screen issue... all of my files are on there, and I can't get the bloody thing to do more than power up (blue light) and beep when I touch the completely blank screen... gah...

Student
kay_rock
Message 7 of 12 (5,724 Views)

HP touchsmart 25" constantly loses black (goes to green and full of static) with verticle lines. The gauss screen is fine - HP says that it is a software issue and I have to reset to factory defaults. It periodically goes away by restarting the computer repeatedly.

No amounts of updates to drivers, resintalls, etc. works. I'm going to have to do a factory reset which I DREAD.

I can't find this issue anywhere else - apparently I'm the only person experiencing it. Odd.

Honor Student
cleanair1
Message 8 of 12 (5,691 Views)

Top Student
Rangerdbs
Message 9 of 12 (5,228 Views)

I have had the same problems with my IQ770 and HP support has been completely unhelpful - they don't even care.  All they care about is selling computers - not fixing problems with them.  I would never buy another HP computer if they were the last computer manufacturer on this planet.

Gary Levine

Mansfield, MA

Student
cornfarmgirl
Message 10 of 12 (4,584 Views)

I have a problem with my display. Turned on computer. Display came up gray then turned black.  When I reboot the same thing happens. When I touch the screen it beeps. Unplugged computer and waited for unit to cool down. Turned on and same thing. Gray then turns to black. No images whatsoever.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation