Question

Student
raymoan
Message 1 of 22 (132,668 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to use Print Screen function?

I've seen various descriptions of how to use the print screen function.

It would be nice to actually be told one that works.  None have worked for me.

[Fn] and Prt SCr does not work.

Ctrl and Prt SCr does not work.

Ctrl, Alt, and Prt SCr does not work.

[Fn], Ctrl, and Prt SCr does not work.

If anyone knows the correct method of activating the print screen function that would be good.

From the looks of things HP has a big problem with this function.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 22 (132,666 Views)

Re: How to use Print Screen function?

Hi,

Normally, all you need to do is just press Prt SCr, open an application such as Wordpad ( Start Menu, All Programs, Accessories ), then right click and paste.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
SledgeHammerMat
Message 3 of 22 (132,655 Views)

FAIL!!!!!

That is called cutting & pasting & has nothing to do with print screen!!!!!!!

The **bleep**tion does not work on an HP laptop period!!!!!

It is a DEAD KEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What You described, does not take a picture of the screen!!!

What you described ist copy & paste, which doesn't need a print screen function at all!!!!!!

Print Screen on other computers, is exactly that, it takes a snapshot of your screen, including any wallpaper, icons, or anything else showing on your screen at the time!!!!!

FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DavidPK wrote:

Hi,

Normally, all you need to do is just press Prt SCr, open an application such as Wordpad ( Start Menu, All Programs, Accessories ), then right click and paste.

Regards,

DP-K

PhD Student
dianebrat
Message 4 of 22 (132,651 Views)

SledgeHammerMat wrote:

FAIL!!!!!

That is called cutting & pasting & has nothing to do with print screen!!!!!!!

The **bleep**tion does not work on an HP laptop period!!!!!

It is a DEAD KEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What You described, does not take a picture of the screen!!!

What you described ist copy & paste, which doesn't need a print screen function at all!!!!!!

Print Screen on other computers, is exactly that, it takes a snapshot of your screen, including any wallpaper, icons, or anything else showing on your screen at the time!!!!!

FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is not a "fail" as you manage to keep ranting about, the Print Screen key on an HP works the same as every other print screen key on every other Windows computer.

David was just trying to make it easier for the OP to understand since they did not understand why the function didn't work they way they assumed it worked, their assumption of how the key works was not correct.

Student
annie60
Message 5 of 22 (130,940 Views)

Does not work for me either... Wish someone would solve the mystery.

PhD Student
GeorgeFN
Message 6 of 22 (130,939 Views)

Please see this short Microsoft article about print screen entitled Take a screen capture (print screen).  This should solve the mystery.

Hope it does!

GeorgeFN

GeorgeFN
I work on behalf of HP.
Associate Professor
frrw
Message 7 of 22 (130,919 Views)

Hello to you all. No boby is telling us what windows they are using. I know in the past I had to download a printsreen program to get my old XP computer to print the screen.http://download.cnet.com/Gadwin-PrintScreen/3000-2094_4-10123018.html its free software. Just type in print screen in your Internet Explorer Browser  search and will list other downloads and links if you are not happy with this one. Issues resolved. Easy fix. I personly know not all computers print screen key works untill I down loaded software like this one. Just because the key is there does't mean the software is there to use it. I think thats what they are saying.

Honor Student
gbristow1
Message 8 of 22 (129,579 Views)

I also cannot get the print screen key to work on my HP laptop  It is on the same key as the "home" key, just above the numeric pad on far right hand side of keyboard.  I try it, then paste to a document, but it only pastes whatever I had copied previously (text, etc.), but not the screen image.  I'm about to give up & I sympathize with the person who said "failed".  Can anyone please tell me how to do a screen capture when home and print screen are on the same key?

Thank you, Glenn Bristow

PhD Student
GeorgeFN
Message 9 of 22 (129,572 Views)

On my notebook, the Insert key and the prt sc key are the same key, but the prt sc has a ring, around it, if you know what I mean.

On the bottom left of my keyboard is a key that has fn with a ring around it, or I guess you could say it is in a little box.  By the way, there are a number of keys that have two functions on them, and to activate the second function, you must press the fn key at the same time as the desired function on the key.  In this case press the  fn key and  the prt scr key, and that puts an image of the screen on the clip board and then it can be pasted into Word or where ever.

Here is somethine else you might like, if you can get it to work as I described above.

To print only the active window, and not the entire desktop or the entire screen, you can do that by pressing the alt and prt sc at the same time.  Then it only captures to the clip board the window, and not the entire desktop. Oh, and in the scenario with the fn key, it has to be pressed also, so actually it's pressing the fn and alt and print screen all at once.

I just performed each of the instructions above, and they worked well on my EliteBook 8440. 

Hopefully you have the same experience,

GeorgeFN

GeorgeFN
I work on behalf of HP.
Honor Student
gbristow1
Message 10 of 22 (129,513 Views)

George,

Thank you very much for your most helpful reply as to how to do a screen capture and paste it to a document in Windows Vista, on my laptop.  I finally found the FN key - hadn't noticed it before.  And like you say, "FN" is enclosed in a litte box on the key, which I found in the lower left corner, next to the Ctrl key on my laptop, an HP G60-243DX.

Also most interesting and helpful was your suggestion about pressing FN, Alt, and Prt Sc all at once.  On my computer, I tested the FN - Prt Sc combination vs. FN - Alt - Prt Sc several times and got the exact same result from both:  they both copied the entire screen, which is fine.  So now I know two ways to do a screen capture and paste it to a document, thanks to you!

I appreciate very much your time and efforts in helping me.

Glenn B.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation