Question

Honor Student
JiveTurkey1983
Message 1 of 4 (3,230 Views)

Increasing Screen Brightness? HP TouchSmart 600-1120

Hello,

I have the "Brightness" setting on my TouchSmart complete maxed out (100%) at all times, yet I find the screen could be brighter.  I have my computer in a room with many windows, and it is often hard to see things on the screen, especially things that are darker.  The screen is also very reflective, which obviously doesn't help.

Is there a way to increase the brightness/contrast beyond the "Brightness" setting from the OSD and the power settings?

Intern
Kate_Tech
Message 2 of 4 (3,204 Views)

Re: Increasing Screen Brightness? HP TouchSmart 600-1120

Have you tried holding down the Fn key and then press the F10/F10 keys to raise or lower brightness. Make sure you don't kill the keyboard background/OSD tasks (using MSConfig) or else this function goes away.

This works if you are using the keyboard that  came with you Touchsmart.  If you have changed keyboards, go back to the original one, changes the brightness, then go back to you new keyboard. Some keyboards have F7/F8 that increase/decrease brightness. Same principle though.

Good luck.

Honor Student
JiveTurkey1983
Message 3 of 4 (3,190 Views)

I apologize if I wasn't being specific, but yes, I had done the [FN] + F10 to adjust the brightness to maximum (100%).  At night and during darker times of the day, the contrast & brightness are fine, but from midmorning until late afternoon, it's almost unusable at it's current brightness/contrast settings.

I would greatly appreciate any other tips/advice from anyone else who has problems viewing the screen.  :robotsad:

PhD Student
dianebrat
Message 4 of 4 (3,186 Views)

The answer is "no you can not turn it up higher than 100%" just think of the "it goes to 11 scene in Spinal Tap....

If visibility is the issue you can use one of the high contrast themes at those points in the afternoon, but it's not pretty.

My answer? window shades.. :-)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation