Question

geo Top Student
Top Student
geo
Message 1 of 3 (10,035 Views)
Accepted Solution

Installation failed because the Windows Installer is busy

I am trying to install Gmail voice and video chat on my HPTouchsmart and get this error "Installation failed because the Windows Installer is busy. Please wait for any installers to finish, close all installer windows..."  But I am not installing anything else.  Does anyone know how to fix this problem?  I've had trouble installing before, but can't remember how I got around it (I recall it was a hassle).
Master's Graduate
Bill_Hicks
Message 2 of 3 (10,007 Views)

Re: Installation failed because the Windows Installer is busy

That is odd.

When this happens, right-click an enpty space on the systray (the bar that runs from the Start button to the clock) and select "Task Manager". See if any installer related processes are running.

"A riot is the language of the unheard." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
geo Top Student
Top Student
geo
Message 3 of 3 (10,005 Views)

Re: Installation failed because the Windows Installer is busy

Nope, no installer processes running, that is the annoying part.  Apparently this is a known problem with Vista.  The solution below is annoying, but came from HP and the only one I know that works:

Go to Control Panel, click Administrative Tools, click Services,
then right-click Windows Installer, click Properties, change Startup Type from Manual to Disabled,
then REBOOT and repeat same process but change Startup Type back from Disabled to Manual.

I had to do the same thing the last time I tried to install new software. I thought there would be a fix or easier solution by now.  Does anyone else get this problem?!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation