Is 2-year-old HP TouchSmart tm2 ready for Windows 8? (3076 Views)
Student
alysebos
Message 1 of 5 (3,076 Views)

Is 2-year-old HP TouchSmart tm2 ready for Windows 8?

[ Edited ]

Product Name: HP TouchSmart tm2

I've had this computer for a little over two years. The thing is awesome. I use it mainly for schoolwork, web browsing, and even playing a little bit of video games. Minecraft works, so do other games on low graphic settings.

I saved up $800 for a new computer and found that I didn't like anything on the market. Windows 8 is all about the touchscreen but the touchscreen computers out there right now haven't got the best specs.

How would a Windows 8 installation work on my computer? Will the touchscreen be ideal for it? I use pinch zooming, and touch scrolling ALL THE TIME on this thing, and I draw a lot.

Are the drivers for the touch screen and other schtuff up to date for Windows 8?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: Uhh, HP put this in desktop, but my computer is the laptop TouchSmart. I can't figure out how to change categories.

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 5 (3,069 Views)

Re: Is 2-year-old HP TouchSmart tm2 ready for Windows 8?

Hi,

Microsoft has a tool similar to Windows 7 Advisor for Windows 8 call Windows 8 Upgrade Assisstant . Please download the Assisstant and run on your machine:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8  

Note: Few users on this forum are having the problem with touch screen.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Student
NewtonFall
Message 3 of 5 (3,032 Views)

I have installed Windows 8 Pro on mine and it is amazing. As much as I already loved my Touchsmart tm2, it really comes to life with Windows 8. It performs faster and makes dramatically improved use of the touch and pen.

That said, there was a few things that needs to be done. First there was some issues with the wifi download speed which was a fraction of the usual speed. Things returned to normal after I downloaded  and installed the latest driver from Broadcom.

The second thing was that the tablet didn't pen eraser and I couldn't recallibrate the screen. All ofthis was fixed by downloading and installing the latest Wacom drivers for tablet pc. There's no Windows 8 version as such but the Windows 7 drivers fixed everything.

Oh yeah, one last thing, I had to uninstall Avast because it conflicted with the normal operation of Windows 8. So if you have problems opening some apps, Avast or whatever antivirus software you use might be the cause.

All that to say that the upgrade to Windows 8 was worth many times the $39 asking price. I feel I have a great new computer. Windows 8 is awesome.

Student
T1Connect
Message 4 of 5 (2,669 Views)

Works great for me....if you have switchable graphics just install .net framework 3.5 then the regular drivers for the video card and you're good money.

Student
lcocea
Message 5 of 5 (2,202 Views)

The "little" problem after ungrading to Windows 8 Pro is the lack of OpenGL 2.x support for the current Intel graphics driver. Many games (including the popular Angry Birds series) require OpenGL 2 or higher support. Where can I find such a graphics driver update for my TouchSmart tm2? Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation