Question

Honor Student
cs700
Message 1 of 6 (13,910 Views)
Accepted Solution

Is there a way to turn off the touchscreen on a TouchSmart 520?

One of my cats likes to stick his nose to the touch screen.  Is there any way to turn just the touch screen off on a 520-1020?

Intern
Kate_Tech
Message 2 of 6 (13,901 Views)

Re: Is there a way to turn off the touchscreen on a TouchSmart 520?

Hi cs700,

Here is how I do it:

Go to Control Panel, then Hardware and Sounds.

Select Pen and Touch and go to the Touch tab.

At the top is "Use your finger as an input device."  Uncheck it.

Click Apply and then OK.

The touchscreen no longer works to your touch.  You now need to use the mouse and keyboard, just like any other computer.

Repeat these steps to turn it back on.  You will need to also check "Enable multi-touch gestures and inking", as it turns off when the" Use your finger . . . "  is turned off.

Hope that helps.

*** If you like my answer, say thank you with a Kudo. ***

Honor Student
cs700
Message 3 of 6 (13,895 Views)

Thanks.  It works. 

Student
monkeygirl
Message 4 of 6 (12,854 Views)

Hi, I wanted to do this too because I never really use it. I wonder if it is beneficial in anyway (longer life?)  or if I'm better off to just leave things alone. I'm off warranty and don't want to screw things up.

It does seem though that it would prolong the life of it. Less things to go wrong, like I said I only really played with it at first, it's much easier just to mouse from where I have it. When I want to play, just turn it back on....

Any thoughts?

Thanks......

Student
sborsh
Message 5 of 6 (12,771 Views)

I am having the same problem.  I go to Control panel and hardward and sounds, but don't see Pen and Touch as an option, and can't find it anywhere.  Any ideas?

Honor Student
Thought1
Message 6 of 6 (7,323 Views)

This doesn't work for me.  I have a TouchSmart 310 with Windows 8, and in the Pen and Touch dialog, there is only a box with "Equivalent Mouse Action" for the touch actions "Double-tap" and "Press and hold", a Settings button (which brings up more detailed settings for either Double-tap or Press and Hold, depending on which is selected), and a Show visual feedback when touching the screen (which just disables the pond-ripple, not the touch).  Where do I find the checkbox to disable touch?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation