Question

Top Student
LanceP
Message 1 of 5 (183 Views)
Accepted Solution

Loud High Pitched Tone from out of box new - 2nd unit to behave this way!

Hi there - I have a brand new Touchsmart 23 All-In-One F207a - Windows 8, 16Gb Mem and 2Tb HDD.

As soon as it powers on, a high pitched tone - (2261.5Hz at 64 to 71 dB) - is present. This occurs immediately the power switch is pressed, so no boot up time or anything - simply "there".

This occured with our first machine purchased yesterday, and the dealer immediately replaced the whole unit with authority from HP. The new machine exhibits the near identical problem, although not quite as loud, (the first one was 75dB and 0.3Hz higher pitch). Frequency and volume measurements have been taken using a free app for iPhone -iAnalyzerLite.

Any helpful suggestions? NO software has been loaded, computer is still basically as out of box - (have loaded networking passwords etc).

It is loud enough to be heard by all members of the family even 2 rooms away!

NB - have visited 2 separate dealers and the display machines do NOT have this issue, (again using the iPhone analyzer to overcome ambient noise in the store).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 2 of 5 (174 Views)

Re: Loud High Pitched Tone from out of box new - 2nd unit to behave this way!

Hello LanceP:

Welcome to HP's forum.  You might want to try using a surge protector http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=Surge+Protector&qpvt=Surge+Protector&FORM=HURE#x0y1635  . To me it sounds like their is to much electricity going to the computer. This has happened to you twice in a row with two different computers. The surge protector regulates the current of electricity comming out of it. If their is to much current it will shut off and keep your computer from burning up. Some homes have a high flow of electricity go through them. Just like stores do if you ever look at store lights some of the lights would flicker or brighten up. I would try plugging it into a surge protector before returning this computer back. Beside that you want to protect your investment any way. Computers are very sentive to Electricity. That is why we have surge protectors. You should not here any sounds till the fans kick in witch is very faint. Then the windows sign is srceen. That is it. Let us know how it sounds ounce you have plug it in a surge protector see if that makes a difference. frrw

Top Student
LanceP
Message 3 of 5 (167 Views)

Hi ffrw,

thanks for that, but no joy I'm afraid. I have changed the surge protector from another area in the house and the tone is still there.

I've played with power and performance settings and it doesn't seem linked to the fan or similar. Even with processor idling after a no use period, the tone is still there at the same level.

My next thought is to take the unit back to the stroe and see if it misbehaves there - that would at least point to a power harmonic in our home, or something similar. Either that, or the noise is completely normal for this machine, (a frightening thought) - but the fact that both shop display units I've seen are silent makes me think otherwise!

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 4 of 5 (148 Views)

Hello LanceP:

Good Ideal have them test it at the store. You are right computer's do not make noise they are quit even when the fans are running. What gets me this is the secound one with the same issue. Hopefully the store technician can tell you some thing. frrw

Top Student
LanceP
Message 5 of 5 (135 Views)

Technician at store confirmed both machines faulty. Solved by swapping for a third with Intel chip and mother board, although sacrificed 8gb of RAM and back to 1 Tb hdd. At least we can think now! Cheers
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation