Question

Student
CocacolaBear
Message 1 of 32 (76,568 Views)

My Touch Smart touch screen has stopped working...

I have tried the troubleshooting and it doesn't work at all. 
Student
kidcosmo
Message 2 of 32 (76,552 Views)

Re: My Touch Smart touch screen has stopped working...

I'm experiencing the same problem.  Started today 6/13, but was prior to updating to Vista SP2...don't think we can blame that.  Also, the mouse pointer keeps returning to the center of the screen.  
Tutor
RandomTechDood
Message 3 of 32 (76,523 Views)

Do you hear a beep when you touch the screen? If you do it is more than likely a software issue, or the cameras are misaligned..

First thing to try is Scroll Lock Calibration.. Press Scroll Lock on your keyboard 5 times quickly, your cursor should move to the top left of your screen, press and hold your finger on it until you hear a beep, remove your finger and itshould automatically move to the top right, repeat for each corner, when it is done the cursor will move to the middle of the screen, and the touch screen should be working

If the computer does not beep when you tocuh the cursor and the cursor does not move when you remove your finger it means your touch is not being recognized... it could be a software or hardware issue, here is one way to find out..

First do a power drain.. shut down the computer and unplug everything from it (including the power cord) and press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.. Now boot the computer into BIOS by tapping F10 on startup.. inside the BIOS touch the screen.. do you hear a beep? if so it is a software issue, if not more than likely it is a hardware issue

A few other things you can try... open the HP Touch Screen Configuration Tool inside the Control Panel, make suire the touch screen and sound are enabled, select the Troubleshooting tab, click Restore Defaults, try the Calibration function... beyond that you could try System Restore/System Recovery..

Good luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love Vista! If you don't you are probably using hardware from the 90's, under 1GB of RAM, or loading incompatible software.
Intern
WWK888
Message 4 of 32 (76,585 Views)

I sent my 804 in for repairs for the same problem, it was a hardware problem.  They sent it back with a broken ambient light then the touchscreen failed again three weeks later.

This is apparently a known issue that they have yet to fix.

Top Student
UnkownFreak
Message 5 of 32 (76,426 Views)

TO  ALL PEOPLE
change Hardisk and your problems are gone

Intern
WWK888
Message 6 of 32 (76,412 Views)

I had my hard drive changed prior to my touch screen feature failing twice.  They are two seperate issues.
Honor Student
giozera
Message 7 of 32 (76,317 Views)

I had same problem with touch screen and finally they fixed after 2 moths! First best buy tryed to fix but after month they told me it was fixed but when I turned on it was even more broken, screen was not showing nothing at all. so than sent to hp and finally they fixed but when I got it it looked horrible! there where scratches, glues all over body was not closed properly averall this product sucks now my mouse is not working! WHATS NEXT IN THE LIST TO GO WRONG ON THIS THING??

to UnknownFreak: I dont understand what is hard disk has to do with touchscreen? its 2 different hardwere how would replacing hard disk will fix touchscreen or any other hardwere problem?

Honor Student
tmeg
Message 8 of 32 (76,069 Views)

Hi Random Tech Dood.... you are a genius.  I spent all night following the 'recommended tips by HP' to fix the screen and none of the steps did a thing.  Your scroll lock suggestion fixed it immediately.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  Why don't they include this in their trouble shooting tips?

T

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 9 of 32 (75,981 Views)

HP does have this in their support documents.

Screen Calibration

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01415056&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

Step 14.

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Student
hbbs55
Message 10 of 32 (75,890 Views)

I tried the screen calibration and all I get is BIG X calibration failed!  nothing worked, this computer is only a little over a month old and I probably only used it a dozen times since I got this for traveling and my lenovo is my everyday laptop. very disappointed!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation