Question

Honor Student
caseyc
Message 1 of 10 (43,657 Views)
Accepted Solution

My computer keeps freezing when using internet

I have tried suggested internet option changes, but no go, it still freezes!  I can't even use the Alt key + F4 or Ctrl + shift + esc keys to get to the task manager - I have to turn off at the power point.  Please help if you can! Cheers

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 2 of 10 (43,643 Views)

Re: My computer keeps freezing when using internet

Hi Caseyc: Oh isn't malware so fun? This stuff can be a pain. Ready for some fun and adventure. Start your computer up in safe mode with network ok. First we have to get rid of it.  Run you antivirus scan. While that is running go to Internet explorer reset it back to defalt setting o.k..  Wait for the scan to finish. Then try oppening up your Internet Explorer click on safety tab click on delete browser history leave the first box blank and check mark all the rest of the boxes. We just cleaned out your temporary Internet files. If for some reason Internet explorer faild to open right and freeze up on you again. We will try this step. Open up HP Support Assistant  click on tune up Check mark every thing when asking to delete temporary  files. Enable disc dafagmeter. Then click run. When finish restart your computer and try Internet Explorer and see if that did the trick. If you are still having troubles repost it here. I will take you through other steps. 

Some are worse than others.  The  thing we will try is to fix this with out doing a full recovery depending on how bad you were effected.

Student
Pirika
Message 3 of 10 (43,620 Views)

Hi, My touchsmart 310 is doing the same thing. Screen freezes then cant use any of the normal functions to unfreeze it. Even the off switch will not activate. Have to disconnect the power from the source.

I do not believe it is anything bug in my system as this has happened from the first day that I used the computer.

I have always had Trend Micro Titanium loaded and running before I even connected to the internet. it is brilliant. I don't believe any bugs are causing this. I delete my temporary internet files through my system management on a weekly basis. I also only have the basic programmes running from start up, including my security of course. All other programmes are de-selected so they are not unnecessarily running in the background and taking up ram.

This problem only happens when a page is downloading, not once it has downloaded. E.G. if I am playing a game it is fine.

If I end the game and download a new one that is when I sometimes get the problem. Happens on average about once every 2-3 days. Any one else out there with more help as to why this keeps happening??

Thanks Pirika

Honor Student
caseyc
Message 4 of 10 (43,599 Views)

Thanks very much frrw!  I tried to first option and so far it my completer has stopped freezing. Cheers!

Teacher
Carrigon
Message 5 of 10 (43,552 Views)

I had the freezeups for months, finally traced it to the TDL4 rootkit infection.  Once I cleaned the infection off the pc, no more freezeups.  AVG was not finding it.  I had to run Avast, Kapersky, and MalwareBytes scans.  And once I removed the old version of AVG and put a new one on, then it saw it, too.  You can never be too careful today.

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 6 of 10 (43,446 Views)

Hi Pirika: No it is just the stupid Internet Explorer 9 or 8. Try Fire Fox Browser or Sarfari Browser. Microsoft still has not fixed the bugs. My Internet Explorer 9 was really bad on my laptop. I found Fire Fox works the best so far and Trend tool bar works on it. My Touchsmart has Iternet Explorer 8 lately it freezes up. So it won't belong before I install Fire Fox . If you can quickly disconnect from the internet just as it starts to freeze up on you. Than ounce you are diconnect close Internet Explorer safe you from pulling the plug each time. Ounce you have switch Browsers issues will be gone. Maybe someday they will fix Internet Explorer again to work well. Don't  wory Titanium will delete all Internet  Browser info. They will be listed when you run a tune up. Just rember to reset the setting in tune up if you decide to use another Internet  Browser check mark it.

Tutor
kmroldan17
Message 7 of 10 (42,644 Views)

Hi everyone, My name is kevin and my computer is freezing with the internet too (A.A). I am in safe mode right now and running my kaspersky anti virus and it is not picking anything up. I used my disk cleanup and took out all the temp files that was up to 1 GB (in Safemode), and I saw more files that I have never seen before.  I am trying to go to internet explore to reset it back to defalt setting o.k. but I don't know how to do that. I am not a computer geek, so if you are going to give me advise, please explain it like you would as a to a 10 year old (but a 10 year old are more computer savy these days).  And any other advise you can give me will be much appreciated.

Student
ksmerryman
Message 8 of 10 (42,635 Views)

Mine is freezing too. I see a trend...thanks for posting, I have been blaming my poor little computer. I usually end up going to majorgeeks.com when a problem like this arises. If it's a virus I'll post back what happens to mine to hopefully help someone else.

Tutor
kmroldan17
Message 9 of 10 (42,623 Views)

I was playing with my computer last night and had the internet switched off, and my computer still froze. So, I am not sure if this is an internet problem, and more of a hardware issue, corrupt program, a virus or all of the above. Please give me some advice.

thanks

Top Student
Enoto
Message 10 of 10 (41,616 Views)

Hi!

My computer also tend to freeze up when either using Internet Explorer or other software that needs to go online or do online searches.

I did not have this problem before, but it startet to occure after buying a new Router: D-Link Dir-655.

I have read that som network cards or computers have a problem with this router - Can this be the reason, and or have anyone a fix?

Best Regards

Enoto

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation